British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-03-08, 09:16 PM
Badge Guru

I think you have misunderstood my fathers point. The point he was trying to make was that it is now near to impossible to correctly identify some of the older reproductions correctly as fakes.

I agree with all points you have made about fakes on this thread.

Quote:
£90 for an infantry ORs badge - outrageous. How can they be worth that? £6 for a slidered example but how does putting lugs on it make it £90?

Alan
I think your right, I`m too frightened to ask why in case I get banned from purchasing from the dealers!

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 22-03-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 22-03-08, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
£90 for an infantry ORs badge - outrageous. How can they be worth that? £6 for a slidered example but how does putting lugs on it make it £90?

Alan
Alan,

£90's pie in the sky... The dealer Alan Pullen has cards of victorian/edwardian lugged infantry most costing around £12 mark or so. But £90 is pure fantasy you could get any infantry QVC for much less- what are the lugs and plate made of to make it worth that platinum?!

Luke
Old 22-03-08, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
No, not for the makers or sellers but the buyers. I was aware that Gaunt plates were being removed from Red Cross/NZ badges.
they are common on kiwi badges. Wonder why gaunt weren't so concerned about labeling British badges in such a prolific fashion ? just a bit of extra advertising for the colonials ?

Old 22-03-08, 09:26 PM
Badge Guru

I`m telling you to watch the recommended dealers stock list for this forum for lugged examples with tablet. I did a little research in google its amazing what cached internet web pages of dealers stock lists reveal in regards to sold items.
Old 22-03-08, 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=Administrator;6499]they are common on kiwi badges. Wonder why gaunt weren't so concerned about labeling British badges in such a prolific fashion ? just a bit of extra advertising for the colonials ?

Maybe they had to put them on so the badges could go out of the Country as part of the contract.
Old 22-03-08, 09:41 PM
Administrator

[quote=54Bty;6504]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
they are common on kiwi badges. Wonder why gaunt weren't so concerned about labeling British badges in such a prolific fashion ? just a bit of extra advertising for the colonials ?

Maybe they had to put them on so the badges could go out of the Country as part of the contract.
yes agreed, tax / duty / import/ export rules something like that I am sure
Old 22-03-08, 09:42 PM
Badge Guru

My guess is Gaunt were contracted to handle the demand for the badges. I dont believe many countries were prepared for the war.

All the Guant badges are very well made and I would be surprised if the plates and impressions are there for advertising or to raise the game against the local manufacturers of badges in the Commonwealth countries.
Old 22-03-08, 09:51 PM

In an attempt to answer the question posed at the start of the thread, here is a photograph of a genuine WWI Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry badge in use during WWI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBLI5264.jpg (35.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 22-03-08, 10:17 PM

If you think cap badges are bad do not take up collecting cloth stuff!
Old 23-03-08, 11:47 AM

P.Jones has asked a simple question which nobody seems interested in answering. The only point that I was trying to make is that, if Philip's grandfather was in the 5th Bn, he would not have worn the famous stringed bugle horn badge.

I am also slightly confused by a reference to an "Edwardian badge", because the early 20th century OBLI badges that I have seen are not the same as those worn during WWI.
Old 23-03-08, 12:18 PM
Badge Guru

Philips relative served in the 6th Battalion. The Bugle is the correct badge for this Battalion.

What you will find if you ever decided to collect photographic cards of WW1 infantry as I have, is that many battalions who should of worn a specific Battalion cap badge or shoulder title did in fact not do so later in the war. This is for the simple reason that there was a shortage of badges and what was worn was what was available at the time. Many reinforcements or troops in training wore the general service button as a cap badge.

Those very late Victorian and Edwardian badges of the various county regiments have lug fixings. It is general consensus that the cap badges worn during WW1 by the British infantry on the most part were slidered badges. It is possible to find these early badges with a slider which show traces of lug fixings.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 23-03-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 23-03-08, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

The OX and Bucks LI had 4 VB bns - 2 in Oxfordshire and 2 in Bucks. Presumably they became the TF Bns post 1908. The Bucks Bns clealry would have worn the Bucks badge but why would the Ox Bns wear anything but the bugle?

If as Phillip says it was a Service Bn then it would have been the bugle on his hat not the TF Bn Bucks badge. Standard 1908 naming was 1 and 2 were the regular, 3 was the reserve (formerly militia) and 4 onwards were the TF. There were exceptions of course and the Bucks Bn muddies the waters. Cox lists 2 reg Bns, one reserve Bns, 1st TF Bucks Bn, 2-4th TF bns and then 5-9th service Bns.

Short answer is that I agree with Jibba Jabba.

I see no reason that the Gaunt made bugles would not be TF badges indeed the plaque would fit in better if they were TF bought badges than WD procurred in my opinion.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 23-03-08 at 12:32 PM.
Old 23-03-08, 04:55 PM

Default Ox&Bucks WW1 Badge

Sorry I’m a bit late getting back to everyone on this.

He definitely wore the Bugle as I said I have a photo of him. Just don’t know how to resize the photo to be able to post it. I can e-mail it to any one if they are interested.
He joined up in 1914 and left at the end of 1917 to become a pilot in the R.F.C.

So back to the main question I am looking for one with a long slider as the later versions in WW2 were shorter?

Thanks,

Philip
Old 23-03-08, 07:33 PM

The Bucks Bn wore the Bucks badge and the remaining Battalions wore the stringed bugle horn. I can probably find photographs of both badges in use circa 1918.
Old 23-03-08, 10:00 PM

Default amendment

In 1914 The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry had only one Oxon Volunteer Battalion (the 4th Bn) and one from Bucks (the 5th, but not numbered as such). The other two "county" volunteer infantry units were the Oxford University rifle corps and the Eton College rifle corps, which were not part of the OBLI, although it could be argued that they shared a common family tree - the University corps having been the 1st OVRC back in the 1860s. In WWI the OBLI was expanded to 17 battalions. I have attached some WWI and post-WWI pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capt_Jack_Smith.jpg (21.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Cpl_Jerome.JPG (45.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CSM_Jack_Burford.jpg (14.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Sgt_Jim_Unstone.jpg (19.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Pte_Gunter.jpg (52.0 KB, 15 views)