British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-21, 02:15 PM

I have at least three photographs of RE marksmen or musketry prize winners: two in SD, one probably pre-1902.
Old 06-08-21, 04:45 PM

My notes and photo of the RACD ledgers suggest 1895 as the year of the crossed rifles new edition.

1895 Badges shooting Crown crossed rifles gold blue sergeant best shooting coy
Star crossed rifles gold blue best marksman
Rifles crossed gold blue marksman
Also equivalents on scarlet and on green

In 1895/6 there was a massive "new version" sealed pattern approved of just about every skill and prize badge.

Regarding dated/ dateable photos of the new rifles badge, a well known expert collector and historian of my acquaintance has none older than 1896, which would fit.
Old 07-08-21, 08:33 AM

Thanks to all posters for their useful comments and data. I’ve passed the details on to Bruce Bassett-Powell, who’s been running with the RA series singlehandedly for some weeks now. It’s quite a big undertaking as you will know, but he has every intention of correcting any and all errors as he goes along, his motives are to always strive for accuracy and clarity as far as possible. The warrant officer wording was pointed out to him some days ago now and he has said he will get around to revising it in due course.

Despite hitches when compiling and presenting such a complex amount of information I know that the fair minded in this forum will applaud Bruce for going to such generous efforts to bring illustrated information free of charge to a global audience. It’s always possible for those who lack any generosity of spirit to make an attempt at presenting something better. There is a blog on the website where comments are invited.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 07-08-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-08-21, 03:40 PM

Thanks for this information. It had already been passed on to me. I try to be as correct as I can on the Uniformology website. I will correct this issue in due course. The great thing about web series is that things can be corrected. Not something you can do in a printed book.
Old 07-08-21, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironduke1 View Post
Thanks for this information. It had already been passed on to me. I try to be as correct as I can on the Uniformology website. I will correct this issue in due course. The great thing about web series is that things can be corrected. Not something you can do in a printed book.
The plates are, as ever, works of art and very welcome. What would improve them further in my opinion would be to reference the primary or reputable secondary sources used. Looking back at the beautiful books of illustrations published by distinguished authors over the years one is struck by the lack of references: in general, they knew their stuff but gave no way back for further study, or indeed to fuel dispute. Campbell, Major Dawnay, the JSAHR and the MHS are, on the other hand, very good at providing references.

A few minor points: I have not gone back to primary sources [but I have them if requested]. I had a look at the accepted excellent secondary source, Campbell's Dress of the Royal Artillery..

He has some Warrant Officers in appointments with crown unadorned [no gun as worn by Master Gunner], no chevrons] in the period. I think that he is correct, certainly for 1894.

I also believe the Layer badge ceased to be a Prize in 1901 [thus limited in distribution and thus worn on the left cuff] and became an appointment, thus upper right arm.

Moving on to Good Conduct Badges, I believe that they were yellow worsted lace, not, as appears, gold. Might be my eyesight.

One final caveat: the periods quoted are correct, but incomplete: a soldier fulfilling certain conditions qualified for the 4th, 5th and 6th badges two years earlier than Uniformology says. And got the extra pay!

Any mistakes are mine!