British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-21, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi folks
Here are some of the War Munitions Volunteer badges that I've put together. Pretty standard ones, I guess, but I thought it was interesting to see that one of the two enameled badges has no number and also a variation in the horseshoe fitting.

You will also note a difference in the font of the numbers.
The enameled badge has had its original horseshoe fitting removed at some point , either due to damage or possibly for mounting in a display.

You can see where a file or grinder has been used to remove the 'stump' , part of the makers mark (N Ltd) is missing.

A later/newer/smaller horseshoe fitting has been attached which would also explain why it has no number.

The different (smaller) font of the numbers on the last badge could be due to it having six digits which would be too big to fit on the horseshoe fitting. This is also probably the reason that the maximum number on the 1915 OWS badges was 99,999 then a 'series' letter was used.

Perhaps they didn't expect to issue so many WMV badges and thought they could get away with one series ? Remember , these badges were supposed to be handed back and replaced with the OWS one when the 'volunteer' started working.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wmv.jpg (35.6 KB, 14 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-03-21, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I'd be keen to know more about this badge and any work that the wearers undertook. OK, Google will answer this but much more interesting to hear what our members can contribute!
Women's Volunteer Reserve, 1915

Hadn't heard of them before but they appear to have been another group of 'wealthy' women doing the bit for the war effort.
Quote:
This organisation developed from a very early one, the Women’s Emergency Corps, which came into existence in August 1914.
Descriptions include :
"a militant and influential suffragette" and "an unlikely mix of feminists and women who would not normally have mixed with such dangerous types. "

One interesting bit of info :
"They became involved in several ventures, not least of which was in providing until 1918 a uniformed group called the Lady Instructors Signals Company, who trained Aldershot army recruits in signalling.However the work was largely of a domestic, fund-raising nature. "

A thread about the badge from 2016 includes this post by Beaker123 (Steven):
Quote:
An edition of Picture World from May 1915 illustrates the badge in an article about the Birmingham branch of the WVR - a mufti badge seems to be correct though it's possible they were also worn on uniform. I have a couple of these badges - one like yours with B and another with W.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...298#post352298

EDIT : The IWM has some great photos of the Lady Instructors Signals Company.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205350863

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lady Instructors Signal Coy..jpg (96.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 16-03-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 16-03-21, 01:11 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I came across a nice article in respect of the contribution of Women volunteers during the First World War. The WVS were in many respects like the Women’s Legion which itself was formed by the Marchioness of Londonderry. This article looks at the various volunteer roles rather than just the military aspect.

https://www.gale.com/binaries/conten...kes_womens.pdf
Old 16-03-21, 09:47 PM

Hello gents

Many thanks for your very informative replies and you've given me some interesting avenues to explore.

Yes, Mike, I see your point re the unnumbered WMV badge and this could explain why it was damaged in the first place.

The horseshoe fitting is not usually placed upside down like this as the most common way is with the points facing down. It is also a trifle small compared to other fittings.

Your comment on the numbering is well made and have you noticed how the large serifed font is almost identical (if not exactly the same) as those found on the SWBs of later issue? I have one still in its Gaunt box of issue that I will post for those who follow this area.

Thanks again!
Old 17-03-21, 07:40 PM

Mike_vee and others interested, I mentioned “londonclanger”s badge in a post a while back, and it needed deeper digging to actually find one! So here is all I’ve got. I was familiar with the “ ‘Anging Round Pubs” one as a young lad in London suburbs. I guess only four of these are in this area of collecting, the others I presume pertain to former Military Service though not sure of the “Imperial Service” one. Any comment? Regards, D.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAA43324-E802-4328-8481-5C133A67F354.jpg (62.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 801C817B-83DF-4BB1-97BD-EDE973C95B85.jpg (47.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 17-03-21, 07:53 PM

The Imperial Service Tablet, I think its purpose is explained in this thread:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...service+tablet

Be aware that if you refer to it as 'Imperial Service Badge" rather than "Imperial Service Tablet" thou shalt feel the wrath of grumpy.
Old 18-03-21, 12:50 AM

Great Leigh, Thanks for posting that link, I read the entire “chapter”. found it very inclusive. It seems that most members having the I.S. Badge in W/M., claim the Tablet portion to be 10mm wide. Mine shown above is to all intents, 11mm wide. Meaning actually 10.89 - 11.03mm wide. (That’s a 6 thou” difference end to end!) Dare I suggest that as an “Imperial” badge, we might use Imperial measurement in this case? Mine is 1.663” X 0.433”
Old 18-03-21, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The Imperial Service Tablet, I think its purpose is explained in this thread:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...service+tablet

Be aware that if you refer to it as 'Imperial Service Badge" rather than "Imperial Service Tablet" thou shalt feel the wrath of grumpy.
This has prompted me to look for a photo I have of a Scottish soldier (wearing "trews") with one of these. If I can get a decent photo I will post later.

Someone might be able to ID the regiment.
Old 20-03-21, 10:20 AM

Interesting that a man in uniform would be wearing an on war service badge! Maybe someone with sharper eyes than me can identify the regiment from the shoulder title on show.

http://https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW...D/224381017826
Old 20-03-21, 11:08 AM

Your link doesn't work (one http:// too many).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-UNKNO...UAAOSwgAFgSQ8Q

No idea of the regiment but the photo was probably taken at the Carl Cloud Studio in Manchester.

Possibly young man had worked in Munitions Factory and later enlisted/conscripted , first photo in uniform ?

Old 21-03-21, 03:44 AM

Default Imperial Service Tablet being worn

Quote:
This has prompted me to look for a photo I have of a Scottish soldier (wearing "trews") with one of these. If I can get a decent photo I will post later.

Someone might be able to ID the regiment.
Here is the RPPC of the soldier mentioned in the above post. Any comments as to the regiment or any other info much appreciated. Darn it, he's still lying down on the job.....

Oh well, just tilt your heads to the left....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imperial.jpg (73.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 21-03-21, 03:54 AM

Default Variations on Imperial Service Tablets

Hi

Just for fun, please allow me to re-post these two "treasures" that I have picked up in years past.

"Been collecting for over 20 years, man and boy, and never seen any others..."

Cue: brass band playing as I trudge up the hill....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imperial2.JPG (34.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 24-03-21, 11:58 AM

Nice DumDum, you always deliver with unusual pieces! And I know I owe you an email....

Picked up this last week off ebay (thanks CharlieDog), a nice and hard to find "V" issue with a rubbery disk I've not seen before.

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8323.jpg (50.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8324.jpg (32.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 24-03-21, 12:25 PM

Nice badge Tim , it would be great to have every single series with examples by the different manufacturers (and the different finishes) but I'll stick with the few I have.

The rubber disk may be a homemade version of the one that came with a BL gold award badge I acquired.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...5&postcount=56

Yours would have two purposes , to prevent the badge from coming out of the buttonhole and also it would stop the badge from accidently rotating.

Old 24-03-21, 04:27 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Excellent thinking Mike. I can see the logic.