British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-15, 01:12 AM

Default Cdn Para Corps Cap badge - Bakelite in Silver?

Hi

Trying to find out for an owner if there ever was (issue or prototype) bakelite Canadian Parachute Corps cap badge in silver.

Badge seems the same as the brown one with respect to size, dimensions, mould marks etc but appears to have a silver coating of some sort. If it were paint, wouldn't that have damaged the badge?

Photos show some loss of the coating and the bakelite underneath is showing in the area of the lugs.

I have not heard of such a beast and wonder if it was just coated somehow for some reason.

There is no pin.

Any thoughts appreciated.

regards
Darrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPC1.jpg (99.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg CPC2.jpg (110.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg CPC3.jpg (31.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg CPC4.jpg (27.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg CPC5.jpg (46.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg CPC6.jpg (22.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-07-15, 05:53 AM

I don't know about this particular type of badge, but some British made plastics were painted silver by the manufacturer, others appear to have been painted by the individual so as to more closely resemble the metal badge.
Old 06-07-15, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Darrell, This badge was also posted on a FB page.
There are many paints specifically made for use on plastics which appears to be the case.
Why it was painted is open to speculation. As Leigh says, it may have been done to make the badge appeaer to be metal. 1 Cdn Para Bn was brigaded with elements of the Parachute Regiment who wore the white metal badge, and perhaps a member of the battalion thought the dark brown badge did not give the 1 Cdn Para enough visibility.
Old 06-07-15, 10:50 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Leigh and Bill

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I will pass it on to the owner.

Yes, I would agree that there is really no way of knowing why or when it was painted. Your hypothesis re the British Airborne certainly has merit but I'm afraid we may never really know.

As I do not FB, I was unaware that the question had already been asked elsewhere. I was asked to ask but I suppose one doesn't wait for just one horse to pay.

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

regards
Darrell
Old 06-07-15, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

And there are some, who like you say, only visit one or another web sites. They may have information that answers the question. Always a good idea to cast a wide net to get responses.
Old 07-07-15, 11:58 PM

Hi Bill

Fair one. Although it was only ever my intent to query this august forum, I cannot control what the owner did.

As well, asking the same question on numerous forums sometimes draws the ire of one or another's membership. I have seen that happen before too.

regards
Darrell
Old 08-07-15, 09:56 PM

Thanks for posting that badge Darrell. Very interesting piece. Bill's comments are quite possible, as I've seen a few practices done that are out of the norm. I have a veteran acquired group where the vet put tinfoil behind his bakelite cap badge in order to make it stand out more.

Cheers
Old 17-07-15, 08:43 PM

although not Canadian " per se ", here is an AAC example in the same vein. while the plastic Parachute Regiment badge is rendered with a definite silver look, the plastic AAC badge in the majority of cases, seems to have been produced with a " bronze " type finish in stark contrast to its metal equivalent. perhaps the original owner of the beret took umbrage to the appearance of his cap badge and remedied the situation with the application of a little silver paint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3961.jpg (118.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 17-07-15, 11:18 PM

Once a nice badge ruined by a paint job. Tips for restoration?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 17-07-15, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Rob, this is the same badge as Darrell posted?
Old 18-07-15, 12:24 PM

I would imagine....hopefully, someone out there isn't painting them up!!!
Old 18-07-15, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
although not Canadian " per se ", here is an AAC example in the same vein. while the plastic Parachute Regiment badge is rendered with a definite silver look, the plastic AAC badge in the majority of cases, seems to have been produced with a " bronze " type finish in stark contrast to its metal equivalent. perhaps the original owner of the beret took umbrage to the appearance of his cap badge and remedied the situation with the application of a little silver paint
British plastic badges were sometimes painted by A Stanley & Sons Walsall, also plastic badges by other makers. Mostly dark brown plastic being painted either silver or gold to more resemble regular OR's metal badges.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 18-07-15, 08:24 PM

I've only a couple of badges painted silver, one being a silver grey Durham LI. I thought it was only the silver greys that were sometimes, for some strange reason painted silver?
Old 18-07-15, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Thomas, The Cdn Para Corps badges were made in Canada and shipped overseas. They were finished in a dark brown, and until this badge appeared I have never seen another finish. There is no record of the Canadian maker painting badges. (The CPC abbreviation is for the Canadian Postal Corps. This thread title confused me when I read the contents.)
Old 21-09-15, 03:20 PM

I finally got the opportunity to purchase the badge. I tried oven cleaner and nail polish remover to no avail. Just a Q-Tip dabbed with the product on the reverse for about a minute or so. That paint is stuck on good!!! More importantly, no harm was done. Maybe it's meant to be...