British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-15, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default CSOR patches

The Canadian Special Operations Regiment was formed a few years ago as as special forces unit. It traces its ancestory to the First Special Service Force and apparently has adopted the FSSF arrowhead as the unit patch? It has been seen in white on red, but the actual construction is not known. Additionally, it is reported that CSOR wears the FSSF patch in subdued colours? Confirmation and if possible, images?
Old 12-01-15, 03:58 AM

These patches were discussed on the US Military Forum being worn by a joint US Canadian Task Force operating in Afghanistan. There are photos of these patch (see link below):

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...patch/?hl=fssf
Old 12-01-15, 04:35 AM

Here are two in a friend's collection obtained indirectly from a CSOR member. The white arrow reportedly is luminescent but I can't confirm this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.jpg (88.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2506.jpg (87.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-01-15, 04:48 AM

Here is a theater made FSSF patch I picked up in Afghanistan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (65.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-01-15, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the information. The discussion in the link provided by Tonomachi uses some images I have seen elsewhere. Some interesting information there,
Steve, thanks for the images and information.
A question. The original FSSF patches reflected the joint national composition of the unit. Why would the CSOR patches include the USA? (Other than the fact they perpetuate the FSSF, they are not a mixed nationality unit.)
Old 12-01-15, 02:00 PM

Default CSOR Insignia

I have these two badges, the top one came from Afghanistan and I am unsure if/when/where it was worn.

This USA/CANADA patch was given to me right off the uniform.

Old 12-01-15, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ed. The top one may be JTF2? The bottom one is very interesting; it appears to be quite different from the subdued patch that was shown on a post on FB.
Old 13-01-15, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Why would the CSOR patches include the USA? (Other than the fact they perpetuate the FSSF, they are not a mixed nationality unit.)
Just that.... honoring the unit that they perpetuate. I think it's really that simple.

Love that subdued FSSF patch Ed. Did it come off a Canadian uniform?
Old 13-01-15, 12:03 PM

Default FSSF Patch

Yes, right off the Canadian CSOR uniform. I think these badges fall into the same category as the many Afghanistan badges in that they are approved at the unit level but are not badges produced by DND.
Old 13-01-15, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Steve, My point is based on a long standing practice (at one time a policy) that Canadian insignia was to emphasize the Canadian origins of the unit. Approval for insignia was often denied if it was not clear that the unit was Canadian. Certainly honouring their heritage is an important goal, but when CSOR personnel are deployed their could be confusion as to thier nationality.
Old 13-01-15, 02:02 PM

Here's the US version. Virtually the same. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fw5271g6nk...5B1.5%255D.png

There's also the most beautiful image of the CANSOFCOM insignia here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8qGt_IgeTs...5x1.5%255D.png
Old 13-01-15, 02:12 PM

I think I've got the answer you wanted Bill.

This image

Came from this official website. And states that the insignia is a qualification badge for special forces operatives.

So you were definitely right all along.
Old 13-01-15, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Hussar 100, that is not the badge in question. Images, several of them that were taken in a variety of places and cover a period of time, show the red/white and subdued patterns as shown by Steve and Ed.
The badge, as a qualification badge would likely be worn on the breast. The patch in question is a unit identifier and is worn on the front flap of the vest or on the sleeves. If I understand the dress practices correctly, this qualification badge is not meant for wear on operations.
Old 13-01-15, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry Hussar 100, that is not the badge in question. Images, several of them that were taken in a variety of places and cover a period of time, show the red/white and subdued patterns as shown by Steve and Ed.
The badge, as a qualification badge would likely be worn on the breast. The patch in question is a unit identifier and is worn on the front flap of the vest or on the sleeves. If I understand the dress practices correctly, this qualification badge is not meant for wear on operations.
I see Bill. What I had done was to search as deeply as possible for any similar examples to what had been shown already, which bore the slightest reference to the Devils' Brigade TRF and to try and confirm if they still wore any variation of the TRF today. I simply felt those images were so pretty I had to post them.
Old 18-01-15, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Steve, My point is based on a long standing practice (at one time a policy) that Canadian insignia was to emphasize the Canadian origins of the unit. Approval for insignia was often denied if it was not clear that the unit was Canadian. Certainly honouring their heritage is an important goal, but when CSOR personnel are deployed their could be confusion as to thier nationality.
This may have been answered somewhere previously but I don't recall.... are these FSSF badges officially authorized for wear? As far I know, these badges are not normally worn alone and a Canadian flag is also present.