British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-09-10, 12:42 PM

Shown elsewhere on the forum but worth a repeat. This smock belonged to my brother-in-law and shows US wings (as well as Pathfinder and Skyhawks).

Old 07-09-10, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Shown elsewhere on the forum but worth a repeat. This smock belonged to my brother-in-law and shows US wings (as well as Pathfinder and Skyhawks).

More like your Bucking for your 300, Mr. I want to be a BCBF Veteran. No big deal, as all the patches according the The Airborne Regiment Standing orders are in there proper place. Whoever the rank should be under the OSONS Patch.

P.S. If you need Extra Snap Buttons let me know, The Kite shop has the info where you can get more. They have a tendency of breaking.
Old 07-09-10, 04:14 PM

Nothing wrong with the rank on the slip-ons. Dress regs changed.

Phil
Old 07-09-10, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce View Post
Whoever the rank should be under the OSONS Patch.
(
It is in line with the method of wearing rank in 1984, when he last wore this.
Old 07-09-10, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone remember when the rank migrated from the sleeves to the epaulettes? I vaguely remember it being in the late 70's?
Old 07-09-10, 06:10 PM

Default Rank Badges

Only for a couple of years in the mid-1980s - at leasst as far as Combats are concerned.
Old 08-09-10, 03:13 PM
Banned

In my time Lady and gents ranks on the sleeve, only Officers wore them on the epolets. For NCO's and down, wearing the rank on
the epaulets was reserved for the winter gear, on the coats, Rain Jacket ect.,used till CADPAT was introduced a Epaulet style attachment
in the front center on your chest, Nés pas?

Till the late 80s only worn on sleeves 1/2" from the OSONS Patch that I personally know. Now since I'm Exchanging info ect. with
the Kite Shop, I'll ask what year did they Switch. Whoever I've posted 2 pictures that shows otherwise, worne on sleeve.

The Canadian Jump Smock replaced the Denison Smock in the 1950's whoever the first issue post war para smock was olive green
until the arrival of DPM in 1975.

The Canadian Parachutist Smock was issued to the Canadian Airborne Regiment from 1975 until the regiment was disbanded in 1995
and to all units of 1 SSF Brigade including the 1st Battalion of The Royal Canadian Regiment based in London, Ontario. Made of
'Reverse DPM' camouflage, it is very similar to the British issue para smock but with more features.

It can still be worn in "British Service" since the regiment has been disbanded and Canada is part of the British Commonwealth.

Picture without OSONS Patch used for Combat.

Typical jump smock and insignia as worn in garrison circa 1990.

http://mpmuseum.org/securpara.html

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...&tx=127&ty=111

Corporal Michael Abel, who was killed while serving with the Canadian Airborne Regiment in Somalia.

http://www.commando.org/2005/01/20/a...cpl-mike-abel/

I have Two New Jump-Smocks never worn

Last edited by Recce; 08-09-10 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 01:11 AM

Default Parachute Smocks

Recce:

What are the dates and manufacture's names of the smocks that you have?

ED
Old 09-09-10, 01:49 AM

Default Combat Rank Insignia

Although traditionally ORs combat rank has been worn on the sleeve and has been pointed out by Recce that for a number of specialized garments the rank was worn in other locations such as the centre of the chest and on the shoulder, ORs combat rank was actually worn on the shoulder of the OG107 Combat Uniform and the Parachute Smock for a few years in the mid-1980s. I have photographs of myself and others wearing combat rank on the shoulder during the period 1983-85.

I believe this was done as a measure to save wear and tear on the uniforms, especially when the rank was changed. The problem was that the rank was near impossible to see when wearing the new 1982 Pattern Web as the Yoke was very wide and covered most of the shoulder. After 1985 maybe even early 1986, ORs rank returned to the sleeve.

This is an official DND photograph and shows a Map Repro Tech Sgt working at a screen press in 1985. Check out all of the safety equipment being worn when working with solvents in a very noisy vehicle SEV....

ORs also wore their rank on the shoulder of the Work Dress Uniform and I believe the change was brought in about the same time as the Combats. I don't think the Work Dress ever migrated back although sleeve rank for ORs returned with Garrison Dress.

ORs shoulder rank was also worn by Canadians on the British DPM Desert uniforms during the Kuwait UN mission in 1992-94 and I believe the Air Force wore their OR ranks on the shoulder when in OG107 flight clothing. The air force are wearing the OR rank on the shoulder with the current flight clothing.
Old 09-09-10, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Recce:

What are the dates and manufacture's names of the smocks that you have?

ED
Peerless & Thompson Vacuumed packed. As the Dates I would have to check.

Whoever I have something more interesting DPM note pad covers bought at the kite shop.

Last edited by Recce; 09-09-10 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 04:46 PM
Banned

Picture taken in 1982, Giving Course on Canadian weapons to US Personal, Note my rank is on my sleeve.

2nd CAR Jan. 1980 Petawawa, on winter exercise. Part of the Red Team, note The White Tag in plastic. Shot in the leg awaiting Medic transport. Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (72.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (62.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (100.3 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Recce; 10-09-10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 18-06-13, 05:50 AM

Hi all, I thought I'd add some pics from a Skyhawks mannequin that was for sale in a Edmonton Antique market last week. It appears that this jumper had British, US and Canadian jump wings. I didn't get the price but the whole lot even included the parachute and harness! I took these with my phone so the quality is not the best and I have no connection to the seller.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cook1.jpg (61.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg cook2.jpg (57.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg cook3.jpg (49.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg cook4.jpg (38.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by GregN; 23-06-13 at 04:02 PM.
Old 18-06-13, 08:15 PM

Here are a couple more pictures of foreign wings on smocks. One is Dutch and the other is your standard British & U.S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British wings.JPG (49.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Dutch wings.jpg (25.9 KB, 38 views)