British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-11-22, 01:00 AM

Default Unknown gold plated button Lamb w laurel?

I have searched many sources but find no match for this lamb with pennon and surrounded by branches. These may be laurel branches. The lamb has no halo. The pennon has no cross and the standard has no cross. Any help with id is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lamb w pennon and laurel f.jpg (61.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Lamb no halo back.jpg (76.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Lady of Doune; 07-11-22 at 01:08 AM. Reason: trying to add picture
Old 07-11-22, 03:20 AM

Not the expert, but first blush to me would be a Queens Regiment button. I am sure others with greater knowledge will advise you more definitely than I am able.

Terry
Old 07-11-22, 12:47 PM

Mess waiter button?
Old 07-11-22, 12:59 PM

Someone with a copy of Ripley’s book I’m sure will be able to say for definite if it is QRWS.

However, I would be surprised if it is. The lamb is on grass rather than on a torse or scroll. Also the flag staff and flag shape and proportions aren’t what I would expect.
Old 07-11-22, 02:21 PM

removed

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 07-11-22 at 02:24 PM. Reason: misread post 3
Old 07-11-22, 07:11 PM

Howard Ripley wrote an article for the magazine of the British Button Society about the buttons of the QRWS, which featured line drawings. None of the buttons including three different patterns of mess waiters' match the one in the first post.
Also included in the article are three unidentified buttons featuring the lamb & flag but again none match the mystery button which is the only one I have seen with a wreath. Ripley mentions that there are a number of civic coats of arms using the lamb & flag including the Middle Temple of the Inns of Court, London.
Some family livery buttons also use the lamb & flag.
Old 12-11-22, 05:23 PM

Default Lamb with wreath and Pennon

Thanks to everyone for your input. It appears this will remain a mystery. It is not in any of Ripley's books, The Middle Temple Lamb carries no flag, and this lamb has no halo. There is actually a torse but is beneath a mound. Perhaps this image will stick in someone's mind and we will someday know the answer.
Old 12-11-22, 05:56 PM

Default Lamb button

Thanks to all for your input. This appears to remain a mystery. I have checked all of Ripley's references to no avail. There is a torse, though hard to see, under the mound on which the lamb stands. There is a possibility of it being a mess waiter's button but I have found no confirmation. As for the Queen's Regt. it has no halo so again it is problematic. Perhaps the image will stick in someone's mind and we will someday have a match
Old 13-11-22, 07:03 AM

I suspect your button is a livery button of some type. There is a website dedicated to these but I can't find it right now. The button is similar to the Legg family livery, maybe a good place to start.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 13-11-22, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
I suspect your button is a livery button of some type. There is a website dedicated to these but I can't find it right now. The button is similar to the Legg family livery, maybe a good place to start.
Cheers,
Alex
Found a site but Legg family button has halo.

https://sites.google.com/site/livery...me/ram-or-lamb

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 13-11-22, 02:58 PM

Fairbairn's Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland shows a lamb without halo on a torse carrying a square flag [not the longer banner as in the original post] for the following families.
Austin, Beawfice, Bogie, Boggie, Davis, Dewar, Dowdal, Evans, Farrington, Lamb, Langholme, Llewellyn, Lluellin, Malmains, Normand, Parry, Pascol, Price, Richards, Rowe, Stopford.