British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-10-22, 01:23 PM

Default Infantry regiment cap badges 1964 question?

Hi all. I am looking at starting a collection of British Army badges worn in 1964. I know that between 1948 and 1968, the regular infantry regiments were grouped into regional brigades, and as far as I understand, wore a common cap badge to each brigade with their own individual regiment collar badges? If so, then does that mean that (with the exception of the Guards and Gurkhas, who I believe continued wearing their own individual regiment badges) I would only need to collect the Infantry Brigade cap badges to be correct for the time frame? Main reason for asking, is that I am sure I have seen photo's of British troops in Aden in the 1960's, who were wearing individual regimental badges, specifically the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders?

anyone know for certain what was being worn in that time frame?

Regards

Tony
Old 21-10-22, 01:38 PM

Brigade Badges.
If you are saying 1964,dependant on what date you use the Forester brigade is either in or out.
The Argylls were being naughty boys.
Old 21-10-22, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi all. I am looking at starting a collection of British Army badges worn in 1964. I know that between 1948 and 1968, the regular infantry regiments were grouped into regional brigades, and as far as I understand, wore a common cap badge to each brigade with their own individual regiment collar badges? If so, then does that mean that (with the exception of the Guards and Gurkhas, who I believe continued wearing their own individual regiment badges) I would only need to collect the Infantry Brigade cap badges to be correct for the time frame? Main reason for asking, is that I am sure I have seen photo's of British troops in Aden in the 1960's, who were wearing individual regimental badges, specifically the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders?

anyone know for certain what was being worn in that time frame?

Regards

Tony
The wearing of brigade cap badges was largely consistent within the regular army (and the official policy clear), but Territorials continued to wear their own badges, often of the same regiment as regulars, but the older pattern. In some Scottish regiments pipes and drums continued to wear regimental badges whilst the rest of their battalion wore brigade insignia. One example being the Cameronian’s (Scottish Rifles).

As Mike has implied the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, under their charismatic and controversial commanding officer “Mad Mitch”, for a short period flouted the regulations by donning their old regimental badge in Aden when reoccupying the so-called Crater area there, which played well to the media covering what was widely seen as an operation epitomising the decline of British influence as it withdrew from Empire.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 22-10-22 at 03:42 PM.
Old 22-10-22, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi all. I am looking at starting a collection of British Army badges worn in 1964.
When you are after the regulars only (you don not explain), this is The Brigades in 1963 and this is what followed on: Changes from 1964 to 1970.

The volunteers: The Battalions of the Territorial Army (TA) 1961.

This will give you a general idea about the badges used.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 23-10-22, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
When you are after the regulars only (you don not explain), this is The Brigades in 1963 and this is what followed on: Changes from 1964 to 1970.

The volunteers: The Battalions of the Territorial Army (TA) 1961.

This will give you a general idea about the badges used.
Cheers Henk, that's really useful, thank you.
Old 23-10-22, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The wearing of brigade cap badges was largely consistent within the regular army (and the official policy clear), but Territorials continued to wear their own badges, often of the same regiment as regulars, but the older pattern. In some Scottish regiments pipes and drums continued to wear regimental badges whilst the rest of their battalion wore brigade insignia. One example being the Cameronian’s (Scottish Rifles).

As Mike has implied the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, under their charismatic and controversial commanding officer “Mad Mitch”, for a short period flouted the regulations by donning their old regimental badge in Aden when reoccupying the so-called Crater area there, which played well to the media covering what was widely seen as an operation epitomising the decline of British influence as it withdrew from Empire.
Cheers, that's really great, makes things much clearer, Thanks,
Old 23-10-22, 12:16 PM

This recruiting poster dates from 1964/1965 and shows all the cap badges of the British Army.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9DDA9975-C735-4D7A-84C2-DA00DD7B7D19.jpeg (93.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 23-10-22, 12:19 PM

This was published as a ‘centrefold’ in soldier Magazine in the mid 1960s.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 369A2005-DBB1-4925-8798-8220F87838C0.jpeg (98.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpeg 29D80790-E087-4D80-BCB6-C6D6654A189B.jpeg (102.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 23-10-22, 12:26 PM

Lt Col Mitchell in Aden in 1967 wearing the A&SH badge in his glengarry as does one top cover sentry, the other wears the ‘crucified moose’ badge of the Highland Brigade.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 37624069-11A8-43AA-AAF3-7C22243E9D4E.jpeg (44.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 24-10-22, 04:15 PM

The Lowland Brigade badge was worn by the officers and soldiers of the King's Own Scottish Borderers 1959 until 1969, However, Pipers, Drummers and Military Bandsmen wore the Regimental Cap Badge of the King's Own Scottish Borderers as did the TA Battalions.

The King's Own Scottish Borderers wore the Lowland Brigade Badge from Mid 1959 until 17th June 1969, where on that date the 1st Bn Paraded at Belfast Barracks Osnabruck and was rebadged, I was on that parade, handing over my plastic Lowland Brigade badge and received a White Metal King's Crown Regimental King's Own Scottish Borderers Glengarry and TOS cap badge 1904 Pattern, which I still retrain in my collection, badge No 27 illustrated in my book in the centre.

Cheers
Hiram
Old 24-10-22, 04:52 PM

Default Infantry regiment cap badges 1964 question?

Thanks All, that's really fantastic and exactly the information I'm looking for, very appreciative, Cheers!

Regards

Tony
Old 25-10-22, 07:05 PM

I remember my father passing on to me what I now know was the redundant Highland Brigade badge, which I assume that during his tenure as a Black Watch staff officer at Highland Brigade HQ in Perth he had been expected to wear in his bonnet on suitable occasion, although I don't ever remember seeing anything but the red hackle, perhaps because I wasn't aware of the significance of the brigade badge (During his period as instructor at Staff College and as CO of a TA battalion, he wore the insignia of a regular BLack Watch officer that he had worn as company commander in 1 BW). Typically he did not explain any of this but simply headed off to his next staff job with "normal service" resumed. Truth is, though, that he spent most of the last six years of his career going to work in a charcoal grey suit.
I still have the Highland Brigade badge in a box together with most of his insignia but, curiously, not the Black Watch cap badge.