British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-22, 06:10 PM

Default Great uncle, but which regiment?

Hi, this is my great uncle, David Findlay. He survived but I cannot find a service record for him. He comes from Brechin, Angus so I assumed he would be a Black Watch man. However, no kilt, and it does not look like a BW should title. glengarry could be BW and badge is difficult to pin down.
Anything else I should be thinking about?

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 434A119B-7757-4634-B4EB-F3DFE9AD27AC.jpg (51.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 11-10-22, 09:59 AM

Cameron highlanders. Curved title, cutaway jacket front and plain glengarry refer. The cockade behind badge is missing but that’s not especially unusual during WW1 as they were retrofitted according to unit. Kilts were not always worn, specifically so for battalion transport men.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-10-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-10-22, 10:29 AM

I’d agree Cameron Highlanders, also he’s got 2 wound stripes and a good conduct chevron on his lower left arm .

Gerard
Old 11-10-22, 10:59 AM

Many thanks for the replies. I’ve eventually found a 1918 marriage certificate for him and it states that he is a private in the Labour Corps. That aligns to only one possibility (highland regiments, undiced glengarrys) in the MICs. Pte David Findlay 20498, Cameron Highlanders and Labour Corps. Unfortunately no service record or battalion number on MIC. He has no Star on his MIC. I assume the Good Conduct Chevron is probably a war-time award? He only has a 5 figure number against Cameron but a 6 figure number against Labour Corps on the MIC. So he was a pre-1916 volunteer? But the shoulder title has no territorial number/T, so probably assigned to a regular battalion? Also cannot find his wound hospitalisation records on Findmypast, which might have given me a battalion number. As mentioned working on a transport section could be a strong possibility. After owning a Cameron Highlander cap badge for over 50 years that came from my grandfather I can now put a name to it, his brother-in-law. It was the last original family badge that did not have an owner.
Thanks again
Bryan
Old 13-10-22, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advsmt View Post
Many thanks for the replies. I’ve eventually found a 1918 marriage certificate for him and it states that he is a private in the Labour Corps. That aligns to only one possibility (highland regiments, undiced glengarrys) in the MICs. Pte David Findlay 20498, Cameron Highlanders and Labour Corps. Unfortunately no service record or battalion number on MIC. He has no Star on his MIC. I assume the Good Conduct Chevron is probably a war-time award? He only has a 5 figure number against Cameron but a 6 figure number against Labour Corps on the MIC. So he was a pre-1916 volunteer? But the shoulder title has no territorial number/T, so probably assigned to a regular battalion? Also cannot find his wound hospitalisation records on Findmypast, which might have given me a battalion number. As mentioned working on a transport section could be a strong possibility. After owning a Cameron Highlander cap badge for over 50 years that came from my grandfather I can now put a name to it, his brother-in-law. It was the last original family badge that did not have an owner.
Thanks again
Bryan
The good conduct badges became authorised for all after the introduction of conscription. The plain shoulder title was worn by war raised service battalions (Kitchener’s New Armies), as well as regulars.
Old 13-10-22, 06:39 PM

Many thanks
Bryan