British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28-08-22, 06:50 AM
Nade Nade is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 15
Default RSA Badge and medal Collection

Hi peoples, I am a Kiwi, ex RNZAF.
I am a member of the local RSA and they have asked me to sort thru all their badging and memorabilia.
They have asked me to build a 'veterans table' for the bar, which they want to inlay badges etc and then cover with glass. This with be for Vet's only.

They have begun giving me Metal badges to sort thru and identify, but I am a little over whelmed at the amount of material.(there is boxes and boxes) I am hoping I can gain some knowledge from the forum and its members to help me identify some things and perhaps provide some back story's.
I have spent a couple of hours looking over things and so far I have stuff from the Boer War thru to about the 50's. I haven't got to the later stuff yet. Some is Kiwi, some is Aussie, some Canadian and lots of Pommy stuff. Most is filthy and packed with old polish, a couple are broken, there is cap badges, collar, cuff and Titles....even found 2 General rank crossed sword and staff.
Ideally I will spend more time on the stuff relevant to NZ, but it would be nice to identify all that I can. I have become very interested suddenly lol
I'll enclose a pic of the First batch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220828_122223[1].jpg (78.3 KB, 119 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-08-22, 09:21 AM
Alan O's Avatar
Alan O Alan O is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,666
Default

Welcome. I can see a lot of British badges there and can ID them for you if you post pictures of them individually or smaller groups. If you want an opinion on whether they are genuine or copies then photos of the backs are needed.

Alan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-08-22, 09:26 AM
William's Avatar
William William is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 534
Default

Sounds like an interesting collection.

For accurate identification it wd be useful to have some clear, distinct images of reasonable quality.

Best regards

William
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28-08-22, 10:13 AM
badgecollector's Avatar
badgecollector badgecollector is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,041
Default

hey Nade
post some pics here and wait for the responses
im looking forward to seeing the australian items
bc
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-08-22, 10:37 AM
Nade Nade is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 15
Default

Here is some of the New Zealand ones...
I will narrow down the pic's of the backs to those pointed out of most interest.
Many many more to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220828_200753[1].jpg (92.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 20220828_200858[1].jpg (88.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20220828_201115[1].jpg (75.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20220828_201158[1].jpg (68.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-08-22, 12:58 PM
CAM's Avatar
CAM CAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
Posts: 1,062
Default

For Starters

Top Row

S. Staffordshire Regt
? Cheshire Regt
Cameronians
General Servic List
? S. African
Black Watch
Lancashire Fusiliers
?
?Essex Regt

2nd Row
?Bedford Regt
Leicester Regt
R. Ulster Rifles
? RAOC
R. Artillery
?
? Fusilier collar
N. Staffordshire Regt
?
?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nade View Post
Hi peoples, I am a Kiwi, ex RNZAF.
I am a member of the local RSA and they have asked me to sort thru all their badging and memorabilia.
They have asked me to build a 'veterans table' for the bar, which they want to inlay badges etc and then cover with glass. This with be for Vet's only.

They have begun giving me Metal badges to sort thru and identify, but I am a little over whelmed at the amount of material.(there is boxes and boxes) I am hoping I can gain some knowledge from the forum and its members to help me identify some things and perhaps provide some back story's.
I have spent a couple of hours looking over things and so far I have stuff from the Boer War thru to about the 50's. I haven't got to the later stuff yet. Some is Kiwi, some is Aussie, some Canadian and lots of Pommy stuff. Most is filthy and packed with old polish, a couple are broken, there is cap badges, collar, cuff and Titles....even found 2 General rank crossed sword and staff.
Ideally I will spend more time on the stuff relevant to NZ, but it would be nice to identify all that I can. I have become very interested suddenly lol
I'll enclose a pic of the First batch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ1.jpg (101.9 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-08-22, 01:04 PM
Destro1918 Destro1918 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 466
Default Badge

Many years ago I was working offshore from New Plymouth, every morning we could see Mount Eggmount (hope that is correct spelling) in the distance, so nice to see you have a Taranaki Rifle badge.
Although I set myself a goal to find one during shore leave I never did. But seeing yours brings back fond memories.....

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-08-22, 01:06 PM
CAM's Avatar
CAM CAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
Posts: 1,062
Default

3rd Row

Worcestershire Regt
Duke of Wellingtons Regt
R. Military Police
?Gloucestershire Regt
?
?
Australin Forces
Lincolnshire Regt
Fife & Forfar Yeo

4th Row
?
?
NZ Forcesth Row
Button
Button
Canadian Forces Gen Service
Collar
NZ
Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) Regt
Machine Gun Corps
?
Warwickshire Regt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28-08-22, 01:14 PM
CAM's Avatar
CAM CAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
Posts: 1,062
Default

5th Row
R. Fusiliers
Black Watch
17 / 21 Lancers
?
Welsh Gds
Royal marine Light Infantry
Army Cyclist Corps
Warwickshire Regt
? R. Hussars
R. Army Medical Corps

6th Row
?
R. Army Medical Corps
R Hussars / collar
?
Gren Guards
? Life Guards
?
Scots Guards
R. Artillery
?
? collar
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28-08-22, 01:24 PM
CAM's Avatar
CAM CAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
Posts: 1,062
Default

8th Row
? above RAOC collar
Cheshire Regt
South Wales Borderers
?
Australian Forces
?
Loyal Regt
?Newfoundland Regt

Bottom Row
?
R. Gloucestshire Hussars
Manchester University Officer Trg Corps
R. Scots Fusiliers
East Surrey Regt
? Munster Fusiliers
Leinster Regt
?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28-08-22, 01:31 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,697
Default

Welcome. Could I have a look at the Grenadier Guards grenade please ? Front and back.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29-08-22, 06:58 AM
Alex Rice Alex Rice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,338
Default

Great stuff, welcome to the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29-08-22, 07:18 AM
Nade Nade is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro1918 View Post
Many years ago I was working offshore from New Plymouth, every morning we could see Mount Eggmount (hope that is correct spelling) in the distance, so nice to see you have a Taranaki Rifle badge.
Although I set myself a goal to find one during shore leave I never did. But seeing yours brings back fond memories.....

Regards
Mt Egmont had its name changed to Mt Taranaki 29 May 1986
Were you on the Oil Platform?

I started to read up on the Taranaki Badge last night and thats kinda what got me hooked. I am fascinated by the history, the story's and conjecture, it is immersive.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29-08-22, 07:39 AM
Nade Nade is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Welcome. Could I have a look at the Grenadier Guards grenade please ? Front and back.
Andy
This one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220829_193206[1].jpg (55.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20220829_193252[1].jpg (50.6 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29-08-22, 07:43 AM
Nade Nade is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 15
Default

Thanks guys. I got some closer pic's of a few and I will take a few more and post some pic's in between investigating. I'm lovin' this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220829_193341[1].jpg (77.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20220829_193405[1].jpg (73.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.