British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-22, 11:36 PM

Default Why a miniature?

The attached photo was sent to me by someone whose father finished his WW2 service in the 5th Aust Mechanical Equipment Company. According to Glyde #659, that unit, originally the RAE element of 4th Armd Bde, was reorganised into its new role in October 1944. It's curious that he has used miniature versions of the brigade RAE patch instead of full-size patches, and I wonder if there was any special reason for this, or if he did so because ordnance had simply run out of the large versions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kemp sleeve.jpg (54.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 27-11-22, 04:44 AM

5 Aust Mech Eqpt Coy Routine Order Part 1 No 3 of 15 July 1944, para 24, directed that all 5 Aust Indep Fd Sqn colour patches were to be removed. Miniatures could be worn.

It is possible that no full size colour patches were allotted pending posting of the new unit to its intended formation. If the unit was then allotted for overseas deployment prior to a colour patch being issued the service dress would have been withdrawn into Kit Stores as is and would have remained in this condition. On returning to Aust for leave, etc, the bloke would have been issued a couple of sets of SD straight from stores and the new colour patch would have had to be sewn to the new SD.

He may not have seen this SD jacket again until the unit was disbanded or he was reposted, and his kit was recovered from the Kit Store in which it was deposited.

Regards,
Keith (Glyde)
Old 27-11-22, 07:20 AM

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply, Keith. I jumped to the conclusion that 5th Aust Mech Eqpt Coy was still entitled to wear the 4th Armd Bde RAE patch when they were reorganised from 5th Ind Fd Sqn. Also, your points about the actual circumstances of clothing and patch issue are things we too often don't take into account.
Old 27-11-22, 09:38 AM

My error that it continued to be worn after reorganization. Having the war diaries digitized has led to a wealth of information not available at the time.

5 Aust Mech Eqpt Coy became 1 Aust Corps Tps when they moved to Queensland so probably wore if anything the purple triangle.
Old 27-11-22, 11:09 PM

Thanks again. I should set myself a big chunk of time to sift through the war diaries, but that will have to wait. Interestingly, the DVA nominal roll shows the serviceman concerned as discharged in March 1946, with his unit on discharge still designated as 5 Aust Mech Eqpt Coy. I assume they kept the same designation while under overall command of 1 Aust Corps?
Old 28-11-22, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Thanks again. I should set myself a big chunk of time to sift through the war diaries, but that will have to wait. Interestingly, the DVA nominal roll shows the serviceman concerned as discharged in March 1946, with his unit on discharge still designated as 5 Aust Mech Eqpt Coy. I assume they kept the same designation while under overall command of 1 Aust Corps?
Please disregard that dumb last question! Of course the unit would have retained its particular designation. I must be suffering from galloping senility.

I've also accessed the digital war diaries and found the entry referred to in post #2. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 01-12-22, 07:34 AM

I passed on your information to the serviceman's son. Not only was he very grateful, but he informs me that his dad's slouch hat does indeed sport a purple 1 Aust Corps triangle patch.