British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-22, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

It has been suggested that it could be Yorkshire or Lancashire Yeomanry related but I still can't find a positive ID. I wondered if it was lugged arm badge conversion but cannot find one that matches.
Old 25-11-22, 09:31 PM

I’ve asked Keith Hook about this badge, it’s one he’s never seen before and confirms it’s neither Yeomanry or Hampshire related. He also doesn’t think OTC/Cadets, I didn’t realise this until he told me just now but he had a good collection of these which he sold to Hugh King.

I would say if it had any connection to any Yeomanry you could bet your mortgage Keith would’ve known.

So it remains a mystery it seems.
Old 27-11-22, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

This article from 1923 states that a w/m rose was worn by the militia. Sadly no photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-27 15.46.18.jpg (41.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 27-11-22, 05:32 PM

I was going to add this morning but forgot, whilst browsing dead Spartan saw a wm rose collar design for 4th West York Militia, it also noted the 1st Royal Lancashire wore the same patter.

Could be an avenue worth exploring.
Old 27-11-22, 06:34 PM

I am of the opinion that with a slider the badge is for the cap and is early 20th Century and probably not military.

I am leaning towards badges worn by people that we havent considered such as one of the Yorkshire Ambulance Services, the staff at a posh Harrogate Hotel or security staff at a Hampshire Bank, etc etc.

Just my thoughts

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-12-22, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Anything to do with the Yorkshire Dragoons I Y slouch hat rose badge on the blue rosette?

Chris
Chris

I think the one worn on the rosette was smaller but I am not ruling it out just yet.

Alan
Old 19-08-23, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently Derbyshire Yeomanry used a rose badge on their slouch hats.
Old 19-08-23, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Apparently Derbyshire Yeomanry used a rose badge on their slouch hats.
They (as IY) did but it is not that (badge post #1).
Old 19-08-23, 06:28 PM

Alan, The FSC, or side-cap as it was called, enjoyed a renaissance in the 1960s and were worn in a number of Infantry regiments. In my battalion all officers wore the side-cap both as part of barrack dress (self purchase Jaeger sweater, SD trousers, shirt and tie) and with full SD. But after a change of CO, who disliked the side-cap intensely, side-caps and sweaters went the way of many non-standard sartorial delights. The caps were otherwise very popular. So much so that when I read your comments on VB badges (1VB Leicesters) I thought you had hit a nail bang on its head. Why rush to wear a cap badge when one already had a FSC and ready-made collar badge?
Old 19-08-23, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer Soldier View Post
Alan, The FSC, or side-cap as it was called, enjoyed a renaissance in the 1960s and were worn in a number of Infantry regiments. In my battalion all officers wore the side-cap both as part of barrack dress (self purchase Jaeger sweater, SD trousers, shirt and tie) and with full SD. But after a change of CO, who disliked the side-cap intensely, side-caps and sweaters went the way of many non-standard sartorial delights. The caps were otherwise very popular. So much so that when I read your comments on VB badges (1VB Leicesters) I thought you had hit a nail bang on its head. Why rush to wear a cap badge when one already had a FSC and ready-made collar badge?
Alas the IY were a law unto themselves,