British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-11-22, 01:18 PM

Default WW2 Navigator Half Wing Brevet

Hello, I am very new to this and want to find a RCAF WW2 brevet for framing with my wife's grandfather's medals. How do I spot a real one? From looking I can see there are padded and flat versions but I don't know which are real. I'm located in the UK. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Martin
Old 10-11-22, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Martin, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 10-11-22, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Which brevet are you looking for? I have some spare.
Old 11-11-22, 08:46 PM

Hi, I'm looking for a Navigators half brevet. It's quite special to me that I get a WW2 RCAF Navigators half brevet.

There is a story behind this. My wife's father was adopted at the end of the war as he was a 'war baby'. He did eventually meet his paternal mother but all she would tell him was that his father was on bombers and that when she went to tell him she was pregnant she was told he had been shot down and killed over Germany. No information other than that was given. My father in law sadly passed on a few years ago without knowing who his father was however whenever he visited Germany he would always visit any war cemetery saying his father could be here. Back in 2019 my wife did an Ancestry DNA test which showed links to persons we didn't know in Canada. After some very careful conversations we identified that the matches were linked to my wife's lost grandfather (my father in laws paternal father) who had been shot down in his Lancaster returning from a bombing raid on Kiel on 9th/10th April 1945. Before Covid hit in 2020 my wife and I were able to visit his grave in Kiel (yes my father in law may well have walked past his father's grave as he had visited Kiel cemetery numerous times as we had family not far from there) and had planned to visit our 'new' family in Canada during October 2020, because of Covid that didn't happen. We were finally able to visit our new family in Canada a couple of weeks ago where my wife was given his medals, hence why I want to mount them in a frame with his photo and a Navigators Brevet to pay tribute to him.

If anyone is interested please see this link https://aircrewremembered.com/hodge-lionel.html
Old 12-11-22, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

MartinL, please pm me. I can assist with your request.