British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-22, 02:36 PM

Default 53rd Welsh Division, R.A., G.P.R. Officer's tunic.

Purchased this morning and, whilst I am certain that the tunic is original, it looks as if a pair of Glider Pilot Regiment wings have been removed.

Is it possible for this combination of insignia to be worn by a Royal Artillery officer attached to the Glider Pilot Regiment, or is it likely that the wings were added by a re-enactor or a dealer.

The 1939/45 Star and France and Germany Star are the correct Stars for a member of the 53rd Welsh Division. If the Military Cross ribbon is original to the uniform, it should be possible to narrow down the candidates for the original owner. Sadly, there is no tailor's label with the officer's name on the tunic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ludlow 02102022 013.jpg (55.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Ludlow 02102022 007.jpg (118.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Ludlow 02102022 012.jpg (118.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Ludlow 02102022 009.jpg (95.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-10-22, 04:30 PM

I assume the wings signify he had qualified for them rather than serving with the gpr?

Nice div flashes.

Jerry
Old 02-10-22, 04:47 PM

Jerry,

as I know next to nothing regarding the Glider Pilot Regiment can you please explain what he needed to do to qualify for the wings and why he would need to?

Would it indicate that he served with an airborne artillery unit and would relate to the loading, stowing and unloading of the air transportable artillery pieces?

Is it possible that the qualification might be post war or should I be looking for an airborne artillery unit serving with the 53rd Welsh Division?

I have a copy of Team Spirit. The administration of the 53rd Welsh Division during "Operation Overlord", which lists the order of battle, so I can look up each individual Field Regiment that served with them.

Many thanks,

Simon.
Old 02-10-22, 05:02 PM

Could they have been RAF wings?

Rob
Old 02-10-22, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Could they have been RAF wings?

Rob
I have several pairs of R.A.F. wings in my collection I will see if they fit. However, it still leaves the question, why would a Royal Artillery officer have R.A.F. wings?.

I could understand if he was wearing Parachute qualification wings but I am sure that Para wings do not have the wings turned up at the angle shown on the uniform. As far as I know only Glider Pilot Regiment are this shape.
Old 02-10-22, 08:01 PM

The thread shadow is from Army Pilot Wings - possibly an Air Observation Post pilot who were usually Royal Artillery Officers flying Auster type aircraft and bringing field artillery guns onto targets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Observation_Post

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 07A1D642-0672-4F6A-A3D3-0112C990AA23.jpeg (19.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 02-10-22 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
The thread shadow is from Army Pilot Wings - possibly an Air Observation Post pilot who were usually Royal Artillery Officers flying Auster type aircraft and bringing field artillery guns onto targets.

Tim
Brilliant Tim, many thanks. This paragraph of the link that you posted is particularly interesting.

The key difference from the Army Co-operation squadrons was that AOP pilots were from the Royal Artillery. The RAF provided the technicians to service the aircraft and the equipment officers and adjutants. The rest of each unit was provided by the army, including signalers and drivers. A further unusual feature of Air Observation Post squadrons was that all pilots were officers, and they were nearly all captains. Since most operations were carried out separately by individual flights, this lack of rank structure in squadrons tended not to produce problems.

I now have to find a way of identifying all the AOP pilots who flew with the 53rd Welsh Division.

Last edited by High Wood; 03-10-22 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 13-07-23, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Observation_Post

Tim
Indeed, most probably a Royal Artillery officer who had served as an Air Observation Pilot.

However, not impossible (although less probable) that previously served with the Glider Pilot Regiment. I know of at least one glider pilot who returned to his parent unit - Royal Artillery - at the end of WW2 and was subsequently commissioned. He would therefore have been entitled to continue wearing his wings on uniform.

The only way to find out for sure is if one had a name.
Old 13-07-23, 05:15 PM

May or may not help.

https://ra39-45.co.uk/units/air-obse...oyal-air-force

Marc