British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Books by Forum Members


Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 30-08-19, 05:47 AM
Toby Purcell's Avatar
Toby Purcell Toby Purcell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Completed colour service and retired
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
That's a great reply and assists a lot too. Thanks to everyone who's chipped in �� Why were badges blackened? I would assume for some tactical reason, or was there another reason?

Looks like I'll have to keep searching to be exact, but I do like the one I own. I don't think my Gf left anything from that time other than his discharge certificates, which show at that time he was discharged from the R.Ulster Rifles as the RIR had been rebadged. Still, it was the RIR he joined and served under so that, for now, remains the priority. Has anyone been to the museum in Belfast and seen what's on display there?
Yes, the tradition of black insignia relates to an early tactical decision that rifle regiments would wear dark clothing and eschew shiny badges and pipeclay. That style had been adopted from the German foresters who had formed the earliest such units in the British service.

The museum in Belfast has a fine display and is worth visiting.

The Royal Irish Rifles had been unusual in that its 1st Battalion had originally been the County Dublin Regiment and its 2nd Battalion the County Down Regiment, and so had recruited from the two principal cities of Ireland.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-02-20, 03:26 PM
Trav Trav is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 7
Default

Does this look genuine? The type my Grandfather may have worn post 1912? 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200211_162347.jpg (76.8 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-02-20, 03:41 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 1,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
Does this look genuine? The type my Grandfather may have worn post 1912? 🙂
It looks expensive! You can get one for far less than £27.99 that one is priced at on eBay. Genuine badge and yes the type worn at that date but easily obtained within the £15-20 bracket.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-02-20, 03:47 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 1,769
Default

No connection to the seller but the badge second from left is genuine and same type. Yours for £14 and you can buy a couple beers with the money youíve saved https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...f9e6%7Ciid%3A1
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-02-20, 03:55 PM
Trav Trav is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks once again for the speedy response.

I've been examining these in great detail for months. Apart from what's been mentioned here, there are variations in the detailing on the harp box, the scrolling on the top of that box, where the scroll ends attach to that box (relative to the detailing upon it), also upon the crown. Wear and tear can change things I know, but these differences are not as a result of years of use.

Maybe I shouldn't get too hung up on some minor details, but a fine looking example would bring the search to a close 🙂
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 11-02-20, 04:00 PM
Trav Trav is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
No connection to the seller but the badge second from left is genuine and same type. Yours for £14 and you can buy a couple beers with the money youíve saved https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...f9e6%7Ciid%3A1
Cheers! I saw that earlier, but have bought one even cheaper than that and am awaiting it's delivery. This other one just looked in nice condition, at least to me.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-02-20, 04:07 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 1,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
Thanks once again for the speedy response.

I've been examining these in great detail for months. Apart from what's been mentioned here, there are variations in the detailing on the harp box, the scrolling on the top of that box, where the scroll ends attach to that box (relative to the detailing upon it), also upon the crown. Wear and tear can change things I know, but these differences are not as a result of years of use.

Maybe I shouldn't get too hung up on some minor details, but a fine looking example would bring the search to a close 🙂
Glad you have one.

The example you showed a picture of is a nice one but it has been polished and lost detail on the maidís hair, feathers and base of the crown. Really sharp ones do turn up so pays to wait until you can get exactly what you want.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 15-02-20, 04:23 PM
jeep's Avatar
jeep jeep is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Preston, Lancs
Posts: 426
Default

Interesting thread. Can I please ask for opinions on my five. I've had them for some time, but never quite sure as to authenticity except for the BB one which is a 1970's copy.

1. WM, short voided scroll ends, normal parallel slider no MM.
2. WM, short voided scroll ends, narrow parallel hairpin slider, no MM.
3. BB, short non-voided scroll ends, parallel slider MM JR Gaunt.London. (This is the 15mm 'with a dot' attributed to 1970's repros).
4. WM, short non-voided scroll ends, tapered slider MM 'FN B'Ham'
5. Brass, short non-voided scroll ends, normal parallel slider, no MM

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIR 1.jpg (63.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg RIR 2.jpg (70.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RIR 3.jpg (61.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RIR 4.jpg (74.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg RIR 5.jpg (67.7 KB, 20 views)
__________________
Kind Regards - John
(Arte et Marte)
http://www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 15-02-20, 05:04 PM
Alan O's Avatar
Alan O Alan O is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,664
Default

The FN Bham one is certainly correct. As is 1 and 2.

3 and 5 are fakes.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 15-02-20, 05:07 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 1,769
Default

Duplicate post

Last edited by Luke H; 15-02-20 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 15-02-20, 05:07 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 1,769
Default

The two to the left of the BB badge are good. The FN one is good, they even bothered to pierce the gap between the scroll and the harp on the right - which is often found solid on genuine examples. The one on the far right gets a thumbs down Iím afraid.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 16-02-20, 04:13 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,217
Default

I've always liked the distinctive FN made examples, they don't seem to turn up as often these days as they used to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Interesting thread. Can I please ask for opinions on my five. I've had them for some time, but never quite sure as to authenticity except for the BB one which is a 1970's copy.

1. WM, short voided scroll ends, normal parallel slider no MM.
2. WM, short voided scroll ends, narrow parallel hairpin slider, no MM.
3. BB, short non-voided scroll ends, parallel slider MM JR Gaunt.London. (This is the 15mm 'with a dot' attributed to 1970's repros).
4. WM, short non-voided scroll ends, tapered slider MM 'FN B'Ham'
5. Brass, short non-voided scroll ends, normal parallel slider, no MM

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rir

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.