British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-20, 08:20 AM

Default Unknown Scots regiment WW1

Does anyone recognise this cap badge from WW1 period?

It is evidently for a Scots regiment of some sort, but I cannot identify it. I am thinking most probably a Canadian Scots regiment.

As far as I know, South Africa only had the Transvaal Scottish and Cape Town Highlanders, and it matches neither. Also, it does not match any of the Australian Scots regiments. I have also checked New Zealand infantry badges more generally, but cannot find a match. I have not been able to find where to check all Canadian regimental badges.

As the photo is side on, so a bit difficult to see, I have also attached a sketch of what it looks like to me (the stag with antlers may or may not be wishful thinking).

Any help welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WW1 unknown Highlander, a.jpeg (52.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 unknown Highlander, badge sketch.jpg (49.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 27-06-20, 09:12 AM

Smile Unknown Scots regiment WW1

This badge looks like the Scottish Engineers Cadet Training Corps which was a London based unit.

Rob
Old 27-06-20, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
This badge looks like the Scottish Engineers Cadet Training Corps which was a London based unit.

Rob
Hi Rob,

Thank you!

I have just done a Google search, which only returned one 'hit', which brought up a badge (on sale) which looks to be a good match.

Do you know anything about the unit? also, anything about their uniform? So far, I can find no information whatsoever.

Last edited by DougSA; 27-06-20 at 11:27 AM.
Old 27-06-20, 10:03 PM

Cool Scottish Engineers Cadet Training Corps

DougSA,
I have no idea as to what this unit wore, obviously from your Pic a Glengarry as headdress and one can only guess the rest of the uniform, kilt or trews!

I would be speculating as to any other dress sense.

I do have a cap badge, although it's cast, there is a die-struck version, probably the one you saw online. I did try to research the unit when I bought the cap badge some thirty years ago and eventually found it was a London based unit in the early part of the 20th century, but that's all I'm afraid.

Maybe other members will add more information.

Rob