British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-20, 09:40 AM

Default RND Machine Gun Corps

The machine gun units in the Royal Naval Division had their own cap badge and according to Westlake wore the curved RND shoulder title , does anyone know if they also wore the standard MGC cap badge and shoulder title, I wondered if that was a possibility, particularly after they were formed into the 63rd Machine Gun Battalion, cheers,

Paul
Old 18-05-20, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Paul

The RND MG cap badges were made under local arrangements by mating a standard issued MG cap badge with an RND title.

I doubt that all members of the RND MG had these and I suspect that the standard cap badge was also worn. The tricky thing will be to identify RND MGs wearing the standard badge in contemporary photos.

I doubt they wore the MGC shoulder title as the RND one was issued.

Last edited by Alan O; 18-05-20 at 03:23 PM.
Old 18-05-20, 12:23 PM

Smile RND

Alan, to avoid confusion it was the RND shoulder title that was soldered below a Machine Gun Corps cap badge.

However, the RND title was worn as a cap badge with a numeral above it before the six individual cap badges were issued.

Rob
Old 18-05-20, 12:46 PM

That would make sense Alan, the 63rd MG Battalion would have presumably received drafts directly from the MGC Depot and gone to the Division wearing their issued cap badges , and thanks for the clarification Rob, cheers guys,

Paul
Old 18-05-20, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Alan, to avoid confusion it was the RND shoulder title that was soldered below a Machine Gun Corps cap badge.

However, the RND title was worn as a cap badge with a numeral above it before the six individual cap badges were issued.

Rob
Rob

Sorry my error. I have amended the post to read title not badge as you are quite right on both accounts. Coincidentally I did have a picture of the title being worn on khaki caps in front of me as well as another with the tally on the cap.

Alan