British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-09, 06:43 PM

Default 135 squadron patch

Was at an estate sale for a local veteran this morning and managed to pick up a few items. The highlght for me was this 135 Fighter Squadron patch.
Old 19-08-09, 03:47 PM

Nice Badge Jim, did you get anything else of interest?
Old 19-08-09, 06:37 PM

Just a couple of sweetheart items.... a silk RCAF pillow from the Dafoe Bombing and Gunnery school... 2 metal pins with the same character and setup as the squadron patch but am presuming these are from a post war reunion. Thanks for the reply Jim
Old 19-08-09, 07:02 PM

The Bulldog looks very much like the one found on the US Air Force 62nd Fighter Interceptor Squadron (from the 1960's) and later 62nd Tactical Fighter Training Sqd.
The old 62nd Fighter Sqd. was part of the 56th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force in WWII and I believe that's when they adopted the fighting bulldog design. Is there any relationship from years past between the Yanks and Brits to explain the similarity of the two squadrons patches?
Old 19-08-09, 07:42 PM

That's a good question. All I know about RCAF135 squadron is that it was formed as a fighter unit at Mossbank Saskatchewan June 15th 1942. The squadron flew Hurricanes and Kittyhawk aircraft on west coast air defense until disbanded at Patricia Bay, British Columbia Canada on Sept 10 1945. I think that's along way from the 8th Aiforce's area of operation. Anyone have a patch the 62nd had during WW2 to compare with.... if someone copied it from another squadron who could blame them... it's just a great patch.