British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-09, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Default Air Force CADPAT?

Some information please. The Canadian Air Force has acquired titles for wear on the flight suit and cadpat. The titles are embroidered in blue thread on the backing material. But, are the titles embroidered on both the od material for the flight suit and the cadpat material?
Example of the od?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CF-Unit-Titles-E...2#ht_500wt_975
Old 04-11-09, 02:42 PM

Default Cadpat Titles

Well if the attached name tags are any example - almost any of the current material has Titles/Patches.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Name Tag001.jpg (86.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-11-09, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I should clarify. Are the full range of air force titles being made on both od and cadpat?
Larry, It seems that "control" over the authorization and issue of titles has been thrown to the wind. No one seems to be in charge of authorizations, or at least able to enforce any structure on the system.
Old 04-11-09, 03:22 PM

Bill,

I am not sure if this is the info you are looking for, but...

When the Air Force began wearing CADPAT, the name tapes and rank slip ons were in blue thread on CADPAT material.

Due to problems with visibility (that is the explanation I have been given) all Air Force personnel now wear name tapes and ranks in blue thread on green (similar/identical to the old monochrome combats in colour). Thus, you will find name tapes and ranks in Air Force blue thread on both CADPAT and plain green.

As for the flight suits, the ones I see around here are all plain green with blue thread, and I think this is the only authorized type.

The navy has adopted a similar practice with black thread on green for their name and ranks. Only the army continues to use tapes/ranks on CADPAT.

I hope that is helpful,

Adam
Old 04-11-09, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Adam. That explains the air force titles that are appearing in od.
In my understanding the blue embroidered were not the very first issue air force cadpat. There was an issue of cadpat TW titles named to air force units. The "forces that be" then agitated and received titles in blue embroidered thread on cadpat. It is rather odd to see air force personnel in cadpat when they are not deployed in the field. The od uniform is reminiscent of the USAF.
Somewhere I read that DND has a winter cadpat and a naval cadpat in development?
Old 04-11-09, 04:40 PM

Bill,

Now that you mention it, I am sure you are completely right. When the CADPAT titles first came out, the member's environmental affiliation was denoted by: Crossed swords (Land), Eagle (Air), Anchor (Sea). All were in the green thread.

I had forgotten about that but remember seeing them in wear circa 2003 onwards.

There is indeed a CADPAT (Winter/Arctic) see here:

http://www.consoltex.com/pages/produ...px?lang=EN-CA/

Adam
Old 04-11-09, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
I should clarify. Are the full range of air force titles being made on both od and cadpat?
Larry, It seems that "control" over the authorization and issue of titles has been thrown to the wind. No one seems to be in charge of authorizations, or at least able to enforce any structure on the system.
And are you surprised??? The control over most uniform accouterments has always been "loose" to say the least. I can remember standing on top of a hill in Wainwright with my purchased gortex boots, Canadian Cbt pants, Norge sweater, American raincoat and purchased beret on. Everyone was in a similar fashion and then there was the assortment of USA/German?French/Dutch/Canadian badges scattered throughout the guys - - - Nothing changes!!!

Larry