British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-09, 04:35 PM

Default IS IT GENERAL LIST OR GENERAL SERVICE CORPS??

I have a large collection of General List(GL) and General Service Corps(GSC) badges BUT how do you tell which is which
K&K show just two General List badges KK 1084 in Gilt and Bronze but I have seen on sale Brass, White metal and Gilding metal versions. These also have come with blades, lugs and sliders.
The General Service Corps KK 1084(same as GL) are shown in large and small sizes and KK 2166 small size. Again these all come either blades(not small size), lugs or sliders and also in Gilt, White metal, Bronze, Gilding metal, Brass and Anodised(small). If you look at my album, the first five I have listed as General List and the rest as General Service Corps.
Can ANYONE tell me which is which or how to tell the two apart I look forward to your infomed replies to this question.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 05-05-09, 06:32 PM

The General List is for Officers and the General Service Corps is for enlisted men.
Old 05-05-09, 09:30 PM

Default GENERAL LIST OR GENERAL SERVICE CORPS??

Thanks 54Bty, But why would there be Brass cap badge for the General List(Officers only) with Gilt and Bronze cap badges in the General Service Corps(other ranks only)? Also there is no longer a General List BUT there is a Bronzed Officer cap badge for the present day General Service Corps as sold by Military-Badges.co.uk. All new recruits to the Army(OR) now wear the GSC badge.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 06-05-09 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 07-05-09, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

The same badge was worn by a variety of units. The Labor (Pioneer) Corps used the badge as did the WW1 VTC. Thus there would be officer versions of this badge in addition to those worn by the Officers in the General list. ORs also wore the same badge design when they were in the VTC, pioneers, under training with no assigned unit and so on.

There is no way to differentiate between these badges. Theya re makers' die variations.

Alan
Old 07-05-09, 10:43 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
. All new recruits to the Army(OR) now wear the GSC badge.
? Not sure where this information has come from, I think it may be a sales pitch, all new entrants as far as I am aware adopt the Cap Badge of their chosen unit? Anyone out there at a phase1 (Recruit) training establishment who can varify?
Old 07-05-09, 02:02 PM

Default GENERAL LIST / SERVICE CORPS

This information came from Military-Badges.co.uk web site

GENERAL LIST / SERVICE CORPS

Officer Bronze Coated £17.99

Recruit A/A - Staybrite - Gold Colour £5.99

Worn by recruits in the first 6 weeks of training

Can anyone confirm this?
Jerry

JERRY
Old 07-05-09, 02:19 PM

Default GENERAL LIST / SERVICE CORPS

Can it be confirmed that the General List was Officer only? So they would have worn Gilt and bronze badges only?
Is there such a list of which/what units are known to have worn this pattern of badge(Royal coat of arms)?

I have seen or heard of the following units:-
General List
General Service Corps
Labour Corps
Military Provost Staff Corps

Can we add to this
Jerry.

JERRY
Old 07-05-09, 03:17 PM
Former Member

Talking

Quote:
This information came from Military-Badges.co.uk web site

GENERAL LIST / SERVICE CORPS

Officer Bronze Coated £17.99

Recruit A/A - Staybrite - Gold Colour £5.99

Worn by recruits in the first 6 weeks of training

Can anyone confirm this?
Jerry
Jerry,

methinks this is a sales ploy, sounds more attractive than a WO1's wrist badge! - Andy
Old 07-05-09, 03:26 PM

The Army Technical Foundation Collage at Arborfield carried out Phase 1 training for REME, RE, RLC and R Sigs until its closure in 2004. All recruits there wore their respective Corps badge. The Army Foundation Collage at Harrogate now incorporates all Phase 1 training, and as far as I am aware recruits still wear their chosen cap badge, not a GSC badge.
'Boy' technical training can be traced back to the early 20's, predominately for RAOC and RASC. In 1939 the need for many more tradesmen was identified (mechinisation) and the Army Technical School (Boys) were established at Arborfield and Chepstow. These were part of the GSC and wore the GSC badge until 1947 when the Army Apprentice School (AAS)badge was introduced, but remained a part of the GSC. Indeed, when I enlisted in the 60's, my 'Notice Paper - Regular Army' Army Form B.271a (Revised 1960) which I still have, asks at Q15 'Into what Corps do you wish to enlist?' to which the recruiters have entered 'GSC.'
As for GSC badges for retail sale, could this be as a rank badge for wear, especially in shirt sleeve order, by WO1s?
Old 07-05-09, 03:27 PM

Quote:
methinks this is a sales ploy, sounds more attractive than a WO1's wrist badge! - Andy
You beat me to it Andy!

Last edited by jeep; 07-05-09 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Add quote
Old 07-05-09, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can it be confirmed that the General List was Officer only? So they would have worn Gilt and bronze badges only?
Is there such a list of which/what units are known to have worn this pattern of badge(Royal coat of arms)?

I have seen or heard of the following units:-
General List
General Service Corps
Labour Corps
Military Provost Staff Corps

Can we add to this
Jerry.

As mentioned above many of the WW1 Volunteer Training Corps units wore it.

Alan
Old 08-05-09, 09:59 AM

Attached is a photo of one of the WW1 VTC units that became Volunteer Bns of the Kings Liverpools. As can be seen a mixture of General Service and Kings Liverpool badges are being worn

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSC.jpg (89.1 KB, 36 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-05-09, 10:02 AM

This may help the current issue badges;

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0079.html
Old 08-05-09, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up RECRUIT GENERAL SERVICE CORPS CAP BADGE

During the first few weeks of training recruits at ATC Pirbright wear the Anodised Gold Colour General Service Corps Cap Badge with slider fitting until they earn their respective unit cap badge.

Watch the video on the ARMY MOD website, link below, and you can see recruits wearing it.

http://www.army.mod.uk/training_educ...ning/9868.aspx

Came in about 2-3 years ago.

NSN 8455-99-973-9494

RSM badges have lug fittings & cotter pin different NSN.

Do not know if its worn at any of the other ATC's.

Regards,
Steve

Last edited by SteveB; 08-05-09 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 07:31 PM

Default RECRUIT GENERAL SERVICE CORPS CAP BADGE

STEVE, Thanks for confirming the GSC badge is worn today by recruits. I have an anodised badge with slider made by London Button and Badge Company.
I have emailed the HQ ITC in Wiltshire to ask about the wearing of this badge and I am waiting for a reply from them.
Regards Jerry.

JERRY