British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-14, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Brian,
Do you remember on the other forum when that man in Pietermaritzburg thought it highly amusing when I had to admit that I was the only person in the civilized world not to have a medal to the Natal Carbineers and then everyone else joined in?
Thank god he does not do badges, so hopefully I won't see him on here, but, yes, I do still like badges.
I always say to people, the badge was there, actually there during the period or campaign in question, being worn.
Kind regards again Frank
Frank

Don't feel bad I also do not have a medal to the NC, but do have a group to a signaller that was attached to them during the Italian Campaign. A few years back I was rather "into" the Italian Campaign and still am just collect mainly to the NMR. Yes 100% badges were there unlike the medals, that is where the krauts had one up on the allies

Brian
Old 03-03-14, 05:10 AM

Hi Brian,

thanks for posting the doc, I doubt if there are too many of those left!

I was actually taking my wife to the coast and had the inspiration to slip in the Sunday and stop over at Ladysmith.

reards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Frank and Iain

Here is the official award document that would have been issued with your " shoulder title" These are even harder to find! Apologies to the owner of this item and I will remove it if it upsets you, this picture was sent to me and I have no idea where my mate got it from, he himself could not remember.

Nice of you to visit our province Iain how far south did you travel or did you just do the northern battlefields?

Brian
Old 03-03-14, 05:20 AM

Hi all,

this seems to be the engagement where the Pretoria Regt. gained its association with the Grenadier Guards and "earned their wings!"

"As part of the 24th Guards Brigade, the Regiment and the 5th Grenadier Guards led the 6th SA Armoured Division's advance on Orvieto. At the citadel of Bagno Regio, No 3 Troop of A Squadron, commanded by Major Riches, was pinned down in the open for 36 hours. They fired close on 120,000 rounds from their Browning machine guns and the Troop Leader, Lt Fred Davey, repeatedly crossed the road in the face of sweeping Spandau machine gun fire to relay messages when the tank radios were put out of action by German fire."

Iain
Old 03-03-14, 06:54 PM

Hello Iain,
Have you got any of these, there were two very distinct types of "wings" produced during the campaign and of course you also get an Italian made version of their cap badge too.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi all,

this seems to be the engagement where the Pretoria Regt. gained its association with the Grenadier Guards and "earned their wings!"

"As part of the 24th Guards Brigade, the Regiment and the 5th Grenadier Guards led the 6th SA Armoured Division's advance on Orvieto. At the citadel of Bagno Regio, No 3 Troop of A Squadron, commanded by Major Riches, was pinned down in the open for 36 hours. They fired close on 120,000 rounds from their Browning machine guns and the Troop Leader, Lt Fred Davey, repeatedly crossed the road in the face of sweeping Spandau machine gun fire to relay messages when the tank radios were put out of action by German fire."

Iain
Old 03-03-14, 09:06 PM

Frank

I have done some stupid things in my life and one was passing up a PR with original backing a number of years back...I can still see it under the glass at a shop in Umhlanga Rocks, a town along the coast near to Durban. At the time it looked "suspect" but after getting home I did a little research and discovered it's story....phoned the dealer and the rest is history....someone had already bought it! Never seen another

Brian
Old 04-03-14, 04:16 AM

Hi Frank,

sadly not. There is also a recent version which I think is enamelled ???
There were a few going around a couple of years ago and I didnt realise the significance so I didn't move on them
But this is what collecting is about and you realise your mistakes later

One of these days maybe I'll have to bid against Brian for one

Do you have one Frank?

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Hello Iain,
Have you got any of these, there were two very distinct types of "wings" produced during the campaign and of course you also get an Italian made version of their cap badge too.
Kind regards Frank
Old 04-03-14, 07:03 AM

Frank,

were else do you hang your helmet after a hards day's battle?

Quote:
A coat rail is certainly a inexpensive way of displaying headress!
Or is it a "hat" rail?
Old 04-03-14, 07:27 AM

LOL, Do I have one? I'm working on it even as I write this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Frank,

sadly not. There is also a recent version which I think is enamelled ???
There were a few going around a couple of years ago and I didnt realise the significance so I didn't move on them
But this is what collecting is about and you realise your mistakes later

One of these days maybe I'll have to bid against Brian for one

Do you have one Frank?

kind regards, Iain