British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-06-20, 04:32 PM

Default KRRC Identification needed.

Hi, I'm new on here and have inherited a collection of Military badges from my mother.
I have two KRRC badges one which seems to be normal sized with solid crown and blackened brass and slider, plus red backing. The other is smaller with a pin attachment on the back.
I have attached a picture of them side by side and want to clarify if the larger is catalogued as KK764 and if the smaller is genuine, and if so, does anyone have information about it.
Cheers.
Keith.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScanImage112.jpg (56.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 30-06-20, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Keith, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 30-06-20, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydrinker View Post
Hi, I'm new on here and have inherited a collection of Military badges from my mother.
I have two KRRC badges one which seems to be normal sized with solid crown and blackened brass and slider, plus red backing. The other is smaller with a pin attachment on the back.
I have attached a picture of them side by side and want to clarify if the larger is catalogued as KK764 and if the smaller is genuine, and if so, does anyone have information about it.
Cheers.
Keith.
Hi Keith,
badges are a little blurred so cannot really give a definative response on authenticity. Would you be able to post sharper images front but more importantly, the back? The KRRC badge of this style came in 2 sizes with a KC (worn 1901 to shortly after 1952) but also came in 3 versions showing increasing numbers of battle honours issued shortly after the Boer war (South Africa honour issued 1905, a subsequent strike with Defence and Relief of Ladysmith shortly after that). The larger badge on the left looks to have the full set of battle honours but the one on the right looks to have fewer so would pre-date KK674. I doubt you will be able to read some of the smaller battle honours as they are tiny but you should be able to determine the numbers of honours on each arm of the cross.
Hope this helps, regards, Dave
Old 30-06-20, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
Hi Keith,
badges are a little blurred so cannot really give a definative response on authenticity. Would you be able to post sharper images front but more importantly, the back? The KRRC badge of this style came in 2 sizes with a KC (worn 1901 to shortly after 1952) but also came in 3 versions showing increasing numbers of battle honours issued shortly after the Boer war (South Africa honour issued 1905, a subsequent strike with Defence and Relief of Ladysmith shortly after that). The larger badge on the left looks to have the full set of battle honours but the one on the right looks to have fewer so would pre-date KK674. I doubt you will be able to read some of the smaller battle honours as they are tiny but you should be able to determine the numbers of honours on each arm of the cross.
Hope this helps, regards, Dave
This was the reason the Crossbelt badge was changed back to the 60th of Foot pattern . There were too many battle honours to fit on.
It's hard enough to read them on the large crossbelt let alone the cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200624_213539.jpg (68.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 30-06-20, 07:14 PM

From the picture the small one looks like a sweetheart.
Old 30-06-20, 09:40 PM

The standard black badge looks fine from the front. A old sweat with the remains of the backing.

CB
Old 01-07-20, 01:25 PM

Default Fresh Pictures

Thanks you all for your replies.
Sadly my camera is not the best but I attach new images.
From the replies so far, the larger badge seems genuine and dates to after Ladysmith. The smaller one also has defence and relief of Ladysmith on it, but the layout of the battle honours which Deejayuu refers to appears different. Also once you get past the outer honours on each wing the words are unintelligible. Indeed, to me the letters look similar to dots. Perhaps magpie is correct and it is a sweetheart. Has anyone seen such a similar item before?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06988.jpg (60.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06982.jpg (58.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06996.jpg (56.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-07-20, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

The Ladysmith honour was granted in 1905.

the pin badge looks like a lapel mufti badge for wear in civilian clothes