British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-09-13, 12:43 PM

Default VARIETY of Sherbrooke Fusilier Regt Shoulder Flashes

Hello All,
Here is a variey of Cloth / Canvas Shoulder Titles to the Sherbrooke Fusillier Regiment. To the best of my knowledge, all are legitimate (some authorized, some not). I would greatly welcome any of your opinions as to the chronological date(s) of manufacture of these Shoulder Flashes and, also, any other comments/opinions that you may have. Many thanks.
Duncan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0088_misc_SFR_Shoulder_Flash.jpg (68.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 0088_misc_SFR_Shoulder_Flash_b.jpg (64.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 29-09-13, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Duncan, Good start on your accumulation of Sherbrooke Fusilier cloth titles. The top three are the starch back (or also called the glue back). They were not available until the late spring or early summer of 1945. The printed title design was approved in May of 1944, with delivery sometime in June or July 1944. The next title down, with the white fuzzy stuff around the lettering is a repro, maybe made for one of the reunions. That leaves the last three, which may have been regimentally procured or private purchase. The poor quality of the bottom two poses an interesting question. Why would any regiment take these into wear? They are cheap and the quality reflects back on the wearer. Many corps / regiments exist in this style of embroidery, but I have never seen one in photo evidence or in wear on a tunic. The third from the bottom may have been one worn between the summer of 1943 and the issue of printed titles, or it may be one acquired through private purchase.
And, you are still looking for the 27 Armoured Regiment title?
Old 29-09-13, 09:58 PM

Default sherbrooke hussars

Hi Bill A and Duncan,

Can either of you two post a picture of the cap badge and shoulder title worn by the above unit anytime after 1954 till the present day, as I would like know what I should be looking for. Thanks Andrew
Old 29-09-13, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Andrew, There are images in the Canadian Gallery. The link is at the top right of each page. The Sher Fus were disbanded after the SWW. The Sherbrooke Regiment carried on, and then amalgamated with the 7/11th Hussars to form the Sherbrooke Hussars. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ke_hussars.htm
Old 29-09-13, 10:53 PM

Hi Bill. Thank you for your input: GREAT STUFF!!! The "repo" title (which DOES NOT have "Canada" on it) came from the estate of a former SFR; which is why I have included it in this grouping. I have also sent you a PRIVATE MESSAGE, Bill.
Old 29-09-13, 11:01 PM

Hi Andrew. You may want to have a look at this "flowchart"
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=93402 On the left, as viewed, near the bottom you will see the SFRs reverting back to the Sherbrooke Regiment (and FUS de SHER). Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-13, 06:15 PM

Hello,

Could anyone confirm the vintage of the title in the scans below?
Thank you!

FX Dutoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FdS1.jpg (31.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg FdS2.jpg (38.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-10-13, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

This pattern of Fusiliers de Sherbrooke is likely the post 1948 pattern. (No serifs.)
Old 09-10-13, 07:45 PM

Thanks Bill!