British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-20, 02:28 PM

Smile Musical Interlude

Picked up this badge as a bit of fun , being ex Artillery and spending a fair bit of my leave back in Edinburgh drinking at The Fiddler's Arms pub.

The dates confused me but a bit of research showed that " two permanent companies of field artillery were established in 1716, each 100 men strong; this became the "Royal Artillery" in 1720."

Records show that the Band of The Royal Regiment of Artillery were formed in Germany in 1762 but previously 'musicians' were paid by the R.A.

Am not sure what significance 1939 is , by that time there were various bands (and an orchestra) in the R.A , my guess is that these were split up to different areas due to the war. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Fiddlers

Why Fiddlers ? The only mention I can find is in an old book "Memoirs of the Royal Artillery Band by Henry George Farmer (Bombardier , Royal Artillery Band) published in 1904.

"1853
The success of the band was such, that the best engagements in Brighton for that and the following seasons were sent to the R.A. Band.

Local musicians were naturally very indignant, and sarcastic remarks were made in some of the papers about the " soldier fiddlers".

N.B The book goes into great detail about the people , instruments and uniforms from the initial set up through to 1900's.

Interlude over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RA Fiddlers.jpg (41.9 KB, 52 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 15-04-20 at 02:39 PM.
Old 25-04-20, 06:44 AM

Interesting that it appears to have a queen's crown. I wonder if it was commemorative and they got the badge wrong?