British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-18, 05:52 AM

Still not happy after seeing the other pics, I think buyer took a huge bet for that kind of money and no returns...,

Cheers
JB
Old 26-02-18, 07:07 AM

Concur JB. Without provenance and a few questions hanging over these berets I wouldn't be outlaying anywhere close to this amount.

Paul
Old 26-02-18, 09:45 AM

The fact that the badge on the lighter beret looks to have had its scroll messed with should have been a major red flag. Astonishing amount to pay for these.

Jack
Old 26-02-18, 11:22 AM

Hi Jack,

I concur. i saw the same buyer bought them both eek!!!

The other badge on the tan beret is also spurrious , did you also notice how clumsy/ugly both badges are sewn to the beret?

Cheers

JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
The fact that the badge on the lighter beret looks to have had its scroll messed with should have been a major red flag. Astonishing amount to pay for these.

Jack
Old 26-02-18, 11:50 AM

Default feint mark inside...

There is also the outline of a very feint mark inside...could be a 3? As to clumsy sewing....who owns items with bespoke sewing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180222_144503(0).jpg (105.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 26-02-18, 12:10 PM

Its a colossal amount to pay and without a personal inspection frankly a bit mad but hey...if you have that much cash maybe it doesn't matter and with no provenance yes a big issue..but as to messed scrolls....pretty much any known original badge has nicks, tucks, tears, holes, bits missing etc etc....when i looked at it did not look messed with in the slightest....this original is battered and the scroll is toast...and look at the 'terrible' stitching still attached....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5257.jpg (88.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 26-02-18, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
Looks like a member on the forum paid over £3,500 for one of the berets. No wonder he didn't make a comment on them!
Very interesting thread with several opposing views.

I would like to hear from the Forum Member that bought them?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-02-18, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post

Jack
I noticed the scroll too. This pattern of badge is one of the most faked WWII ones. The interesting thing is that some of these have material backing the scroll rather than embroidery which is an immediate giveaway. The scroll on the badge of the lighter beret doesn't sit with the rest of the badge for me. It could be sewn in over a material scroll backing. It may be a trick of the light, but the scroll seems lighter and fresher than the flames. There doesn't appear to have been any UV evaluation of the badge. A number of the fake WWII badges look very convincing but Excalibur fluoresces strongly which is a red flag.

It's always better if one can handle an item in person so this means that potentially my evaluation criteria are higher when buying on-line. I have to say neither item passed my (admittedly subjective) 'Would I bid on eBay' test and I may have missed something special but good luck to the buyer. I can't say the berets aren't original, but they raised sufficient doubts for me not to want to speculate that sort of money on them.

Graham
Old 26-02-18, 08:40 PM

Hi Gents,

What do think about this lot ... is it from the same source ?

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-lit...-73556134.html

Best regards . Herve
Old 26-02-18, 09:00 PM
Banned

The whitish one of that lot is very new Herve..
Old 26-02-18, 10:04 PM

Default White SAS berets

Friends,

There are some pictures of the original early white SAS berets in 'Gentleman Jim' the book on Jim Almonds.

The white berets were very shortlived. Have a look at some original berets and badges in period pictures.

Cheers,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim Almonds and Bob Lilley with white beret.jpg (69.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 5 early SAS members with white berets.jpg (94.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Cooper and Seekings in Cairo 1941.jpg (69.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0666.jpg (63.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0665.jpg (40.0 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by johanwiegman; 26-02-18 at 10:10 PM.
Old 26-02-18, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half12 View Post
Hi Gents,

What do think about this lot ... is it from the same source ?

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-lit...-73556134.html

Best regards . Herve
Hi Herve,

This white beret, is from the Littledean Jaill Museum SAS Exhibition that was on a couple of years ago. I had a very good look at the white beret with the owner after hours and it didn't look right. It was of multi piece construction, with a separate crown, and appeared to be the white FFL beret that was used in Indochina. I know where it was sourced from but the owner told me in confidence. It was from outside the UK though. The badge appears to be 1970s New Zealand pattern.

Regards,
Graham
Old 26-02-18, 11:08 PM

Default Two beige SAS berets on ebay

I know there has been a lot of controversy about these but I think they are the real deal. Its just going to come down to a matter of individual opinion in the end.
I suppose the question is how much is anyone willing to pay if they believe the item is 100% real. If the berets are then I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than 20 in known collections and they would be the rarest item in any SF collectors collections.

If someone thought they could be the real thing but were not 100% convinced and they were an SF collector they might take a chance and bid a few hundred pounds.

In any event out of my price range. Maybe Popskipa was the lucky buyer, if so I'm sure we will hear from him.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 27-02-18, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
I know there has been a lot of controversy about these but I think they are the real deal. Its just going to come down to a matter of individual opinion in the end.
I suppose the question is how much is anyone willing to pay if they believe the item is 100% real. If the berets are then I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than 20 in known collections and they would be the rarest item in any SF collectors collections.

If someone thought they could be the real thing but were not 100% convinced and they were an SF collector they might take a chance and bid a few hundred pounds.

In any event out of my price range. Maybe Popskipa was the lucky buyer, if so I'm sure we will hear from him.

Cheers

Arnhem
Arnhem- I didn't buy the berets.

Keith
Old 27-02-18, 12:12 PM

Default Two beige SAS berets on ebay

Sorry about that. I guessed wrong.

Cheers

Arnhem