British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-06-12, 09:42 AM

Default Marine Cadets Malta GC

Back in the early 1990's it was decided to add a Marine Cadets detachment to
the TS ST Paul, Malta.
This unique cap badge with the approval of the Commandant General Royal Marines, was to be worn by the detachment.
The Lion and Crown was to be replaced by the Maltese Cross, and the badge was to be made in Malta.
Sometime later a visit was made by the Commandant General Royal Marines, to Malta. On an inspection of the detachment I think it was pointed out to him the cost of these badges to the detachment funds.
And it was decided to replace the badge with the current Royal Marines cap-badge sent out from England.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2377.jpg (32.9 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by stonehouse boy; 28-02-22 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 10:39 AM

Default Malta cadet badge

I have two of these very nice badges, but am I right in thinking that the originals were made of "Silver" and then plaited ? Many dealers think that these are all fakes, but you have convinced me that they did indeed wear them.
Thanks Sticks. RM.
Old 06-06-12, 11:08 AM
button_guru

That subdued badge of the flag of Malta is also worn by menbers of the Armed Forces of Malta who serve overseas, on their Woodland camos.
Rgds,
button_guru
----------------
Buttons aren't just a hobby!
Old 06-06-12, 01:11 PM

Hi button_guru,
Thanks for the added information, I got the subdued badge from one of the instructors.
I meant to say it was only worn by cadet instructors and not by cadets, but as you say its also worn by members of the Malta Defence Force.

John
Old 06-06-12, 03:06 PM

Hi Albert,
I was told by a cadet instructor they were made from Sterling silver and then Gold plated, that's why they cost so much to produce.

John
Old 06-06-12, 07:29 PM

Default Matching Info

John - I have one of the cadet cap badges and the chap who sent it to me claimed to be the previous CO of cadets. He sent copies of the various paperwork requests/permission for its use.

It was a long time between his promising it and it arriving - because, he explained, he had to wait for the jeweller to make it!

After email correspondence with Sticks we were both dubious on whether this was myth or reality but, as he did not actually want any money for it, I couldn't see any reason for it to be fake and remained hopefull.

Your post has satisified me that I have a pukka badge that is not too common and a good conversation piece - thanks mate

Ray
Old 07-06-12, 06:09 AM
button_guru

Hi guys,
I'm a former instructor with TS St. Paul, SCC (Malta) Unit 505 from back in the mid-70s at HMS St. Angelo and still remain friends with both the Unit and former members. The former CO mentioned, was most likely Lt. Cdr. (SCC) C. L. Camilleri RNR, MBE. I can assure you that the badge is the real thing and was the product following a time of much dispute when relations with Britain were weak and the Unit had to either cut all British connections including its titles and badges or disband. Luckily, thanks to the hard works of Lino, Mr. Ebejer (the first CO) and a handful of the Cadets, it survived to become what it is today. When the Royal Marines Cadet Unit was raised, the crown could not be included until regaining British recognition and approval. So threre's nothing dubious about the badge, which was made privately by a local silversmith and short lived.
This year TS St. Paul is celebrating its 50th anniversary since being raised at HMS Phoenicia and was recently presented with a set of Colours by HE the British High Commissioner at St. Paul's Pro-Cathedral in Valletta.
I made and presented the Unit with a commemoration and am also working on writing the Unit’s history.
Rgds,
button_guru
----------------------------------------
Buttons aren’t just a hobby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0170a.jpg (57.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20042012427.jpg (63.3 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by button_guru; 07-06-12 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 07:05 AM

Default Squaring the circle

Button_guru
Thanks for that info, together with a cutting someone emailed me I have all the reference material I need to catalogue that one in my case.
It was indeed the Lt Cdr who sent me the badge - as I say, free of charge, after I had sold him a couple of RM Artillery pieces.

As a matter of interest, if they couldn't have the crown on the badge, did they use the same RM buttons? Guess the crown on there was too small to be noticed?!?

As the patch is not specific to the Marines/Cadets I guess I do not really need to try and get one but wondered whether there was anything else other than the cap badge which was peculiar only to the Malta detachment?

Aye Yours
Ray
Old 07-06-12, 03:19 PM

Also of interest the Malta Marine Cadets, came over here and won the Eastern Area Drill Competition for 2012.
And also the trophy for the best Guard Commander was won by Lance Corporal Jean Paul Buhagiar.

John
Old 16-07-12, 09:56 PM

Default Malta Marine Cadets Badge

Hi to everyone,

For accuracy's sake the Malta Marine Cadets Cap badge was introduced in 1993 when I, as the Commanding Officer of the Malta GC Unit of the Sea Cadet Corps, obtained permission to form a Marine Cadet Detachment within my Unit. It was approved by the Commandant General Royal Marines on condition that a specimen be sent to the Royal Marines Museum in Portsmouth.

The badge is made of solid silver and plated in 18 carat gold and is therefore very expensive to manufacture. All badges produced to date (40) are hallmark stamped. The badge is no longer being produced because of the prohibitive cost but the local manufacturer still holds the original mould.

The Marine Cadets of the Sea Cadet Corps received the royal title two years ago and became known as Royal Marines Cadets. The Royal Marine Voluntary Cadet Corps and the Marine Section of the Combined Cadet Force also received the same title and all are administered by a Colonel Marine Cadet Forces although all three organisation remain separate as far as administration is concerned.

The subdued Malta flag has nothing to do with the Malta Royal Marines Cadets and it is a badge used uniquely by the Armed Forces of Malta.
Old 19-06-24, 11:56 AM

Default Malta Marines Cadet Badge

Buyer Beware, read the post above before bidding on the two badges being offered on a online auction site, they don't say they are original and no returns.
Old 19-06-24, 12:22 PM

Links:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/135106756...Bk9SR7qPk4eGZA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/135108587...Bk9SR7qPk4eGZA

Tim