British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-13, 07:41 PM

Default Frosted silver QC glider pilot collar badges

These came in today; I was somewhat sceptic when I saw them up for sale given the size of the GPR at the time they changed from KC to QC but I'm confident they are original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 080.jpg (79.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 078.jpg (109.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 076.jpg (81.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-09-13, 07:57 PM

Very nice badges Luc, and genuine IMO, but remember officers badges were private purchase, so any officer joining the GPR from around 1952 to 1957 would undoubtedly have bought QC badges.
The question wether GPR QC OR's badges were officially issued is unfortunately not answered by these. Remaining stocks and intent are the real issues here.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 05-09-13, 07:31 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Luc, Nice pair and the first ones I have seen. Well done you sceptic.....
David
Old 05-09-13, 12:13 PM

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 05-09-13, 12:57 PM

Hello Thomas,
Are you suggesting that the QC badges were actually in use before the sealed pattern date and what evidence do you have that proves beyond reasonable doubt that the QC badges were worn at all prior to disbandment?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Very nice badges Luc, and genuine IMO, but remember officers badges were private purchase, so any officer joining the GPR from around 1952 to 1957 would undoubtedly have bought QC badges.
The question wether GPR QC OR's badges were officially issued is unfortunately not answered by these. Remaining stocks and intent are the real issues here.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 05-09-13, 03:55 PM

No and none, Can't see how you read that in my post?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 05-09-13, 07:56 PM

Hello Thomas,
Thank you for your clarification, my question arose after reading this;

"so any officer joining the GPR from around 1952 to 1957 would undoubtedly have bought QC badges."

I too, have not seen any evidence that QC badges were worn and only have anecdotal evidence that they were not, from two veterans whose memories may have faded a little over the years.
Kind regards Frank
Old 06-09-13, 08:00 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
These came in today; I was somewhat sceptic when I saw them up for sale given the size of the GPR at the time they changed from KC to QC but I'm confident they are original.
Luc, Worn or not. If you nowwant to send them to a good home, let me know. Private purchase they may be, but I haven't seen a pair before.
Thanks for showing them. All the best and Bon weekend. I am off for some baguettes and a few pastries (low fat of course....).
David
Old 06-09-13, 11:50 AM

Hello Luc,
My own thoughts on these would have to be as they appear quite similar to the Firmin made kings crown officers silver collar badges, if they were not original, then where are the rest of them?
I suspect that they are what you believe them to be and perhaps part of a very small number made in the mid 1950's, perhaps as few as fifty pairs, moreover, perhaps, even before any sealed pattern.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 06-09-13 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Thomas,
Thank you for your clarification, my question arose after reading this;

"so any officer joining the GPR from around 1952 to 1957 would undoubtedly have bought QC badges."

I too, have not seen any evidence that QC badges were worn and only have anecdotal evidence that they were not, from two veterans whose memories may have faded a little over the years.
Kind regards Frank
Frank, It wouldn't have been the first time badges were worn before the official sealing date.
Other ranks badges were supplied, and only updated when existing supplies were exhausted. The need to supply QC badges might just have passed in such a relatively small corps, depending on the amount of existing KC badge stocks.

Were your two veterans officers?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 06-09-13, 08:58 PM

Hello Thomas,
Good heavens yes, it was often quite the norm for a given badge to be worn well before the pattern was actually sealed, it is interesting to speculate what was going on here, no, neither of the GPR veterans were commissioned, one was a Sgt and the other a WO2, though, both are still rather sharp!
Kind regards Frank
Old 08-09-13, 07:40 PM

Frank, for comparison, a silver frosted KC collar badge made by Firmin and the QC one from this thread. They are quite different in my opinion.

It is possible that these were made in anticipation of the official introduction (like the cloth RACC shoulder title); but were never purchased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPR collars.jpg (76.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-09-13, 05:45 AM

Hello Luc,
I think they are perhaps more similar on the reverse that the front, though, the lugs are differant, but, again, if they are wrong, then where are the rest of them?
The only thing I don't like about them is where you got them from!
Regards Frank
Old 09-09-13, 07:18 AM

Frank, the reverse is different too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPR collars2.jpg (69.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-09-13, 07:54 AM

Good morning Luc,
Yes I do see your point, I just glanced at a pair of kc and thought at that moment they were similar.
Regards Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020114.jpg (55.8 KB, 17 views)