British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-15, 10:43 AM

Default 24 Brigade Aden Divisional Badge

Old 25-01-15, 11:58 AM

Nothing showing.

Marc
Old 25-01-15, 12:49 PM

No picture seen here in Dorset/Wiltshire!
Old 25-01-15, 06:06 PM

Or here in N. Ireland.
Old 25-01-15, 11:58 PM

Default 24 Brigade Aden Divisional Badge

Please accept my apologies, gentlemen.
I tried to upload the picture but was unsuccessful.
I then tried to delete the thread title but that didn't work either.
The badge that I am trying to find depicts a sand coloured Arab dhow (boat) on a black background.
Apologies once again for the confusion.
Oldbootneck

Last edited by oldbootneck; 26-01-15 at 07:43 PM.
Old 26-01-15, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbootneck View Post
Please accept my apologies, gentlemen.
I tried to upload the picture but was unsuccessful.
I then tried to delete the thread title but that didn't work either.
The badge that I am trying to find depicts a sand coloured Arab dhow (boat) on a black background.
Apologies once again for the confusion.
Oldbootneck
Try it again Booty and this time read the instructions - slowly. We all had to learn and this site is a little unusual. Once you do it once you'll remember for the next time.
Old 26-01-15, 07:45 PM

OK. Thanks for the nudge, Hussar 100. I guess s..l..o..w..l..y is the operative word.
The image shows a white dhow but I'm pretty sure the originals were sand coloured.

Last edited by oldbootneck; 26-01-15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 26-01-15, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbootneck View Post

OK. Thanks for the nudge, Hussar 100. I guess s..l..o..w..l..y is the operative word.
The image shows a white dhow but I'm pretty sure the originals were sand coloured.
Lol, no problems mate, we know you Booties had your weapons drills written down on a wee card stuck to the back of your rifle, or whatever it was the navy let you have.

I've not seen it before but it does smack of the Army of the Nile. I'll have a wee look for you but in the meantime many of my esteemed colleagues here know these things at a glance.
Old 27-01-15, 12:23 AM

The insignia you've displayed mate comes from the Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry, Aden Brigade. From the information I've gleaned there were two instances of an Aden Brigade being formed; the first was by the Indian Army in 1903 but given the positioning of this insignia on the SCLI pages I've linked you to this would appear to be the brigade insignia used the 1960's. It could well be the same one used in 1903 but I haven't confirmed that.

Wikipedia confirms that the SCLI did serve in the Aden/Radfan campain 1964-67 It also confirms that the Aden Bde was indeed 24 Bde at that time.

After Aden, 24 Bde became airmobile and used this insignia instead of the Aden Bde dhow. Previously discussed on this thread.

Aden Bde was administered by British Forces Arabian Peninsula, not a divisional structure.

I think that'll do for now. I've uncovered quite a bit for you. That's a bottle of Pusser's Rum you owe me, you old salt!

Last edited by Hussar100; 27-01-15 at 12:36 AM.
Old 28-01-15, 09:09 AM

Aden Garrison was re-styled Aden Brigade in 1964. There was also in WW1 an Aden Independent Brigade in 1916. Indian Army Order 618-1916 stated that the title of GOC Aden (Independent) Brigade would change to GOC Aden. It also stated the infantry brigade and its various attached units forming the Movable Column would be known as the Aden Infantry Brigade. Troops under the command of the GOC Aden would be known as the Aden Field Force.
Don't think there are any more Aden Brigades. Suspect the patch is WW2. Have owned it in felt and printed. Mike Jackson will probably know the answer or some one with that level of knowledge on patches.
Rgds Quicksilver
Old 28-01-15, 09:20 AM

One last point. I did not see the patch worn in Aden in 1967 when I was there.
Quicksilver
Old 28-01-15, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Hussar100;296167]Lol, no problems mate, we know you Booties had your weapons drills written down on a wee card stuck to the back of your rifle, or whatever it was the navy let you have.

Bloody Hell! Looks like one our most closely guarded secrets is out!
The Navy let us have all sorts of things, most of them obsolete, which included the occasional WREN. Not so sure about the Pusser's stuff, though. It carries a government health warning and is not recommended to be consumed by landlubbers.

You have been busy, my horsey friend. Many thanks for all the gen.

Quicksilver: thanks also. I was in Aden 66/67 also, and like you never noticed anyone wearing that patch.

Would still like to get my hands on one, though. (patch, not boy seaman)

Last edited by oldbootneck; 28-01-15 at 01:40 PM.
Old 28-01-15, 01:07 PM

The felt patch is very rare. However the printed patch was being sold by Cunard militaria in the States. Cant be sure they are genuine though as they seemed to have so many for sale.
Quicksilver
Old 28-01-15, 04:34 PM

There was a period in the 60's, 70's and 80's when formation signs kind of fell out of favour. If my memory is right it was a deliberate policy by MoD to make it harder for the Soviets to identify what formations were changing. It seems stupid now when we know the Soviets were aware of almost everything we did and we continued to wear cap badges and advertise our presence with whacking great signs on the main gate etc etc but it's true. In all my nine years I never wore a formation sign on my uniforms and the only TRF's we used were stencilled onto the vehicles.

Funny about that but in Tenerife I few years ago I was trying out an apartment complex and I met a German police captain who had been in the East German Special Forces. When we were exchanging stories about the Cold War he told me that he had been part of a team gathering intelligence on armoured units in the British Sector of the Zone. What he could tell me about my own unit stunned me.
Old 29-01-15, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
The felt patch is very rare. However the printed patch was being sold by Cunard militaria in the States. Cant be sure they are genuine though as they seemed to have so many for sale.
Quicksilver
I would stay away from anything he sells. He also has another name he uses.

John