British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-15, 12:34 PM

Default Two buttons to be dated

Can the Forum help me to date these two buttons.

No1 Reverse
C. Pitt & Co. 50 St Martins Lane. London.

No2 Reverse
Firmin & Sons Ltd.

Thanks Garry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.jpg (58.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.jpg (52.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (65.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (53.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 13-12-15, 01:12 PM

Hello Garry

Your first button is for the 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot and being an officers' pattern will date from 1855-1881. I believe the backmark is consistent with those dates.

The second button is HM Customs, Victorian crown but dating after 1875 when Firmin became a limited company, so 1875-1901, unless a Customs expert can give you a different date!

Regards
Roger
Old 13-12-15, 01:13 PM

1. 92nd Regiment of Foot became the Gordon Highlanders in 1881. Charles Pitt & Co., button makers from 1875-1895 at Martin Lane address, after which moved to 31 Maddox St. I'd therefore date this button 1875-1881.

Last edited by davidguthrie; 13-12-15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 13-12-15, 05:23 PM

Hi Chaps

My thoughts:

92nd Foot - Officers. The pattern of button worn 1855-1881 but that particular button late 1870's - 1881.

Customs - late 1870's - 1901 going by the backmark. Is it HM Customs (as in GB) though? I don't really know anything about Customs buttons but I have a few Victorian examples and they all have a central "VR" cypher. So, either they used more than one pattern (in which case the period of use might be narrower than the above dates) or could it possibly be another one from the "colonies"?

David
Old 14-12-15, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info chaps. My Grandfather was in the Gordons though this button was before his time it will go into my special drawer.
The Customs button, I will take as Colonial as it was bought in Cape town along with other Custom buttons IE being GVR, GV1R, and E11R. GV1R and E11R are bilingual with Custom/ Doeane on the Garter. Both have Kings Crowns which I found rather strange as I thought the crown would have been changed on the ER11
Maybe Steven can enlighten me on this one

Thanks Garry.
Old 14-12-15, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry thomson View Post
Thanks for the info chaps. My Grandfather was in the Gordons though this button was before his time it will go into my special drawer.
The Customs button, I will take as Colonial as it was bought in Cape town along with other Custom buttons IE being GVR, GV1R, and E11R. GV1R and E11R are bilingual with Custom/ Doeane on the Garter. Both have Kings Crowns which I found rather strange as I thought the crown would have been changed on the ER11
Maybe Steven can enlighten me on this one

Thanks Garry.
Hi Garry

If the Customs button is from South Africa then presumably at the time it was in use (pre 1901) Cape Colony & Natal would have had their own Customs Service of some kind?

Can't explain the EIIR button with a KC. I know some SA military units continued using KC insignia long past 1953 but they must have changed the button die to incorporate the EIIR cypher so you would expect that the crown would have been changed at the same time.

Have to admit that my knowledge of Customs buttons is about zero though!

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 14-12-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 14-12-15, 05:49 PM

Garry, hope you don't mind, I have posted the Customs button on a Facebook button collectors group - will let you know of any outcome - Wayne
Old 14-12-15, 05:52 PM

Looking on this site it appears to be a UK HM Customs & Excise button from the Victorian era.

http://www.hm-waterguard.org.uk/Unif...ALTH_DOMINIONS

Wayne
Old 14-12-15, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guBulawayo View Post
Looking on this site it appears to be a UK HM Customs & Excise button from the Victorian era.

http://www.hm-waterguard.org.uk/Unif...ALTH_DOMINIONS

Wayne
Hi Wayne

That's a really interesting site. The HM Customs buttons I have (with VR cypher) are shown but I can't see the button in question unless I missed it?

There are Customs buttons & insignia shown which feature an anchor - worn by cutter/launch crews. Maybe that's what the button is - worn by Customs Officers "afloat" and those I have were worn by shore based Officers?

David

PS......Garry.......your SA Customs KC/EIIR button is shown on the above site - it was an error.

Last edited by davidwyke; 14-12-15 at 06:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 14-12-15, 07:23 PM

Oops sorry its similar but has letters in the middle not anchor,

I still await a reply to my FB post

Wayne
Old 15-12-15, 07:25 AM

Hi Wayne/David,
had a look on the waterguard site, the SA E11R is the same as my one. I wonder if they changed it later to the Queens crown.

I look forward to any more info from you chaps regarding the Victorian customs button.
Thanks Again
Garry.
Old 15-12-15, 01:25 PM

Hi Garry

As regards the SA Customs button with KC & EIIR, there may have been a QC version but I suspect that it was worn until RSA buttons were introduced, without a crown obviously.

As regards your Customs button with anchor - "reading between the lines" of the web site I think the versions I have and which are shown (with VR cypher) were the standard HM Customs buttons of the period, presumably worn by land-based Officers.

Your button (with anchor) may have been worn by Customs Officers who conducted inspections on vessels before they actually docked. Whether that is the case and whether it would have been worn in the UK or SA, or both - no idea.

All the above is nothing more than speculation though - is there a Customs Officer/collector out there!!

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 15-12-15 at 01:34 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 15-12-15, 03:37 PM

The customs button has been identified in the past as 'South African'.
It is found in two versions: QVC and KC.

Known backmarks are:
Firmin & Sons Ltd, London (from this thread)
Firmin & Sons Ld, 108 St. Martins Lane, London
H.J. Henochsberg, Natal