British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-12-11, 05:38 PM

Default Protecting documents against Sunlight

I have a number of documents in glazed frames and I have always been concerned about the possibility of sunlight fading not only the documents themselves but especially signatures and other information written in ink on them.

I understand that it is possible to buy a thin type of plastic film which can be cut to size and fixed externally to the glass of a picture frame which will stop most of the ultra violet light passing through it which is the main cause of fading.

I wonder if anyone has used this type of material and can tell me where you can buy it from and if it is is easy to use and most importantly is it effective ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-12-11, 06:28 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I have a number of documents in glazed frames and I have always been concerned about the possibility of sunlight fading not only the documents themselves but especially signatures and other information written in ink on them.

I understand that it is possible to buy a thin type of plastic film which can be cut to size and fixed externally to the glass of a picture frame which will stop most of the ultra violet light passing through it which is the main cause of fading.

I wonder if anyone has used this type of material and can tell me where you can buy it from and if it is is easy to use and most importantly is it effective ?

P.B.
Peter, I have always had the glass changed in frames that hold pictures/paper/water colours etc to UV proof. Its not that expensive......
Rgds, David
Old 27-12-11, 06:36 PM

Thanks David,

I will see if the man whom does my framing for me stocks it, would be worth using for frames containing cloth badges as well.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-12-11, 06:45 PM

Peter, there is a UV-absorbing Plexiglas you can get which most good framers will install for you (more expensive than regular "picture glass"), or the same in glass. One used to be called Denglass, but may be called something different in the UK. They claim to absorb up to about 95% of UV, I think, but the visible part of the spectrum can still be a problem. The best thing to do is to hang your frames away from windows and direct sunlight, even if you do use these products, as well as fluorescent lights. Also, don't use "picture lights" above the frames. Handwritten manuscripts and ink signatures are more susceptible to fading, as well as red inks. Ideally, light levels should be no more than 50 -100 lux (forget what that is in foot-candles for those of you still using that unit) and 75 microwatts per lumen. You won't be able to measure that unless you have a light meter especially calibrated for this purpose.

UV film installed on glass (normally on windows) should be available from conservation suppliers in the UK. One I know of is Conservation Resources in Oxford. Mark Vine is the managing director and an old buddy of mine (unless he's retired by now; haven't heard from him since I retired). You can Google the address. If they don't sell it, there are likely other suppliers in the UK. I only really know about the N. American market. One thing I was told was that if the UV film is not professionally installed it can invalidate the warranty. You might be better off getting UV Plexi or glass for your frames.

I used to be a paper conservator many moons ago, so was involved in giving this sort of advice regularly. Hope this helps. David
Old 27-12-11, 06:46 PM

PB,
3M (and other Companies) manufacture UV Reduction Film which can be applied to existing glass. Although usually intended for windows I would think that it could work with picture frame glass?

Tim
Old 27-12-11, 06:46 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Thanks David,

I will see if the man whom does my framing for me stocks it, would be worth using for frames containing cloth badges as well.

Peter
Have already done that for the cloth and used the UV glass on a Wilding pic of Queen Elizabeth II and some David Cartright prints. It has made a heck of a difference. The colours are still lovely and fresh. Highly recommend it for the cloth as well.
David
Old 27-12-11, 07:08 PM

Thanks all,

I do try and keep most of my frames away from direct sunlight but it is not always possible, you have given me a lot to think about.

Peter

Old 27-12-11, 10:00 PM

At our little musem here in town we seldom display original documents or photographs if it can be avoided. They are stored in envelopes of museum quality acid free paper. We have high quality copies made of most items for display purposes framed with UV free glass. The fading is an insidious thing that is not easy to notice over the short time.....and often not until it is well under way.

Donny B.
Old 28-12-11, 02:40 PM

Hi, another problem,especially older framed documents is the paper sticks to the glass if held in close contact. Mike
Old 28-12-11, 05:56 PM

Mike, to avoid documents (or any other paper) from sticking to the glass it should either be mounted with acid-free board ("matted" in N. American parlance) or a spacer inserted to separate it from the glass. Most framers should have spacers available. They come in strips about 1/4" wide and about 6' long which can be cut to any size and are made of acrylic. There was one that used to be called "Framespace".
David
Old 28-12-11, 06:36 PM

Quote:

P.B.
Peter,
I have just had a Simkin watercolour re-framed by a restorer down in Hampshire and he has used acid free mounts, card, paper, UV glass etc; and has even hermetically sealed it... If what you have is valuable, I can email you his name, address and details if you wish.
david
Old 28-12-11, 08:05 PM

Thanks David,

I will speak to the guy who does my framing and if he cannot help I will PM you.

Regards

Peter