British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-01-15, 12:24 AM

Default Scottish TRF's / Formation Signs from Afganistan

Recently picked these up from someone who had been at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. He had a lot of various British and other patches he had gotten there, but wasn't sure about these. I know the one on the left is the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The other I'm not so sure, but believe it is the Scottish Command. It is similar to a regular Scottish Command Formation Sign except of course for color. Can anyone help with any further info on these two patches?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scottish(Small).jpg (68.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 08-01-15, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

They appear Afghan made so you may well find that they are not very accurate copies of the RRS badge. They were sold as souvenirs rather than for approved wear.
Old 08-01-15, 01:02 PM

I wondered if they were "morale" type patches - not official, usually foreign made. Still a nice addition to my Scottish collection. Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-01-15, 02:18 PM

A nice wee thing to have but poorly made. The Lion Rampant isn't the Scottish Command TRF. It's just a Lion Rampant. Here's the Scottish Command TRF.
Old 09-01-15, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
A nice wee thing to have but poorly made. The Lion Rampant isn't the Scottish Command TRF. It's just a Lion Rampant. Here's the Scottish Command TRF.
Thanks for the comment. The TRF you referenced has the black stripe on red background behind the rampant lion. According to:
http://www.petergh.f2s.com/flashes.html
"Units of the Command other than HQ staff had the same badge but with a plain red background". Since Afganistan is most definitely outside of Edinburgh, guess that's why I thought this could have been intended for Scottish Command, due to the plain background (at least I was hoping for that possibility).

Thanks again for all the comments,
David

Last edited by davidguthrie; 09-01-15 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidguthrie View Post
Thanks for the comment. The TRF you referenced has the black stripe on red background behind the rampant lion. According to:
http://www.petergh.f2s.com/flashes.html
"Units of the Command other than HQ staff had the same badge but with a plain red background". Since Afganistan is most definitely outside of Edinburgh, guess that's why I thought this could have been intended for Scottish Command, due to the plain background (at least I was hoping for that possibility).

Thanks again for all the comments,
David
Your link is for WW2 badges.

There were a lot of badges made in Afghanistan for wear by both Units and individuals. Unfortunately unless you get them off those that wore them a positive id is very unlikely.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-01-15 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Your link is for WW2 badges.

There were a lot of badges made in Afghanistan for wear by both Units and individuals. Unfortunately unless you get them off those that wore them an positive id is very unlikely.

Marc
I don't think any British unit ever wore those but perhaps an attached Afghani outfit?