British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-20, 10:52 AM

Default Fake QC Black Watch NCO Glengarry Badge?

I have been offered what appears to be a QC NCO Glengarry badge, but I have my doubts about it being authentic. (Ignoring that the seller put it on a green Compton Webb beret with a feather!)

Overall the quality of the details on the badge are poor, but I have read on this forum (and others) that the NCO badges were not as well-made as the officers.

I would really appreciate your thoughts (and expertise) on the badge. Here are my concerns:

1. The ball and cross at the top of the crown are not well made.

2. St. Andrew seems to have hair on left side of his head (his left), similar to a collar badge.

3. The Sphinx is low on the star and hangs off a bit on the left side.

I have asked the seller to remove the badge, so I can see the back. From what I understand, I should see a locking pin running vertically down the badge.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you have before I pay way too much money for a fake!

Respectfully,

R.W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front of Possible BW QC NCO Badge.jpg (67.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Reverse of Possible BW QC NCO Badge.jpg (37.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-09-20, 10:58 AM

I am sure others can help, but rmarsden is the chap you need to speak to - I would suggest. Not my field of collecting, but certainly his! (Maybe drop him a DM?)
Old 09-09-20, 11:20 AM

Thank you for the quick reply! I will send a DM.
Old 09-09-20, 01:54 PM

If you search for the thread QEII Black Watch by rmarsden, you'll find a good image of a SNCO's badge there. Even with the small image in your post it looks to my eye particularly crude. In addition to the hairy St Andrew the seeding behind him is especially badly executed and looks like bricks. I would look to buy a better example.

One thing that's always puzzled me is why there are more QEII officer's s/p and gilt badges available than SNCO's w/m and gilding badges. Certainly the other way around pre-1953. Had the badge rank distinction between the two blurred post 1969?

Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 09-09-20 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 02:19 PM

Thanks, Mark.

I spoke to Mr. Marsden and he agrees with you. I will wait for a better example to come along. Too many warning signs with this one.

I really appreciate all of the expertise on this forum.

Reid

Last edited by Reid10; 09-09-20 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Utilized member's first name without permission.
Old 09-09-20, 02:40 PM

I too would look for a better example than the badge offered here. A QC officer badge is not rare nor expensive.
There has never been a clear distinction as to what constitutes an officer badge relative to an NCO.
Typically, an NCO badge is not supposed to be silver and gilt, but that is certainly not always true.

CB
Old 09-09-20, 04:20 PM

Thank you for your reply, CB.

The badge appears to be white metal, which is why I leaned toward it being an NCO badge. However, the face of St. Andrew looks as bad as some I have seen on staybrite badges and, as others have said, the details are poor. The gilt also appeared to possibly be bronze instead.

I will follow the advice of the forum and look for a better example. The seller wanted $35 plus $15 shipping for the badge (it was attached to a Compton Web beret that the dealer called "WWII".)

I will do some research to find reputable dealers. I am lucky to have the ability to receive items in the UK and have them shipped at a reasonable rate to the States.

Thank you again.

Respectfully,

Reid
Old 09-09-20, 06:19 PM

Default Question about a QC BW NCO Badge

Mark and CB,

The seller sent a picture of the reverse of the badge.

-Reid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reverse of QC BW NCO Badge.jpg (61.2 KB, 46 views)