British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-20, 09:49 PM

Default Please Don't Laugh!

Well, or not to loud anyway! I have two questions and at least the first one is going to seem very basic.

1. What is he difference between a standard brass cap badge and a gilded one? I see both referenced, but from the pictures don't know the difference?

2. Re the Northumbrian District Patch I have seen it it with 8 stripes and with 6 stripes. What is the difference?

Thank you,

Terry
Old 01-05-20, 10:30 PM

Regarding cap badges, collectors use brass or GM (gilding metal) for OR's badges interchangeably. There is no difference, although GM is probably the correct term as that was the alloy used, which was primarily brass.
You will note the varied ways in which these badges tone over time, depending on the alloys, which range from a dark copper appearance to a lighter yellowish color.
When using the term gilded or gilt, that would refer to officer badges, which had gilt coating over the base GM that had a small amount of gold in it. This wears away with use and polishing quite quickly however.

CB
Old 01-05-20, 10:56 PM

Thank you CB!

Further on the subject of the cap badges, how can I tell if a badge is an officers one that has been gilded from an OR brass one? Is there some difference in the appearance?

Terry
Old 01-05-20, 11:45 PM

That would depend on many different factors! Some officer badges were of a completely different design from the ORs of a regiment, or very different in materials and construction. Officer badges really fall into another sub aspect of British badge collecting. Study is required. No simple answer here!

CB

PS, I might add that officer badges of a given regiment will differ according to form of dress as well.

Last edited by cbuehler; 01-05-20 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 04:52 AM

The 6 stripe St Oswald's shield is the WWII era Northumbrian District badge, the 8 stripe post war.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 02-05-20 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Typed St, auto corrected to At.
Old 02-05-20, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Gilding metal and brass badges are similar and only differ by the content nickel/copper ratio

Gilt or 'gilded' badges have a thin gold surface over the top. There is a notiecable difference.
Old 02-05-20, 09:05 AM

You will also find Or's badges that have been through a brightening dip giving a gilded appearance if you can find before anyone has used the brasso on them and then forgotten, gilded badges tend to be officer's badges that are more solid in construction rather than stamped sheet and being in both a chocolate brown or a bright gold with burnished high points for a gilded badge.
Old 02-05-20, 10:43 AM

In 1897 (sorry, I don’t have the exact day and month) the WO made obsolete ‘brass’ in favour of GM – ‘Gilding Metal’. GM was defined as 86.7% copper and 13.3% zinc by weight Pattern 4480/1897). This is a much higher copper content than brass. (ref TNA WO 359.6,336)
Old 02-05-20, 03:01 PM

Thank you all very much! And now I know which Northumbrian patch to get too!

Terry
Old 02-05-20, 04:36 PM

I think the shield changed from 6 to 8 stripes because the "proper" medieval flag or shield had 8 stripes, not 6.
Old 02-05-20, 07:11 PM

There are a few of the more common 1911-1953 Officer's badges here.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2127