British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-15, 10:52 PM

Default RCD Merritt Cup Recce

Here is an interesting RCD patch, attached to the SSF.

I asked the seller about the patch and he stated that he was in the Airborne Troop, I know the Hussars had a Para qualified RECCE Armoured troop and the Cdn Airborne but I did not know the RCD did. Very neat patch with the SSF wing and dagger.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271790341061?...061%26_rdc%3D1

Picture used with permission
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCD patch.jpg (13.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-03-15, 08:04 PM

Hi Mike

There were x3 different version/years of this badge, I believe: 88, 90 and 91. This was the Reg Force Armoured Recce Sqns from the 3 domestic based Armoured Regts competing. We (RCD) wore ours sewn to our SSF smocks. As well there were stickers of the same size. I'm pretty sure I know the seller and may have, in the past, sold him my 3 badges!

8CH started Jump Troop or, as it was formally known, 1st Tp (Para), Recce Sqn, 8CH in 83 or 84. Badger Levesque was the first Tp WO. He and Larry Power were the first modern Crewman to be Para Instructors. Part of the Canadian Airborne Regiment (CAR) Battle Group, it was 21 soldiers Tpr-Lt/Capt in x7 Lynx C&RVs.

In 1987, when 8CH and RCD swapped bases, the RCD took up the role until CAR disbandment. We jumped and also chucked our Lynxes out now and again. Good fun.

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell; 08-03-15 at 04:05 PM. Reason: more accuracy
Old 05-03-15, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Darrell, You wouldn't have examples left that could be posted? And, would you have any images of the patches in wear?
Old 05-03-15, 09:43 PM

I had always heard a rumor that after Canada stopped using the Lynx they were sold for scrap to a German company who turned around and sold them to Iran.
Old 05-03-15, 10:26 PM

http://defence.pk/threads/irans-sacr...ek-2010.74428/

Scroll down and you will see a Lynx, and some rather bizarre vehicles.
Old 06-03-15, 02:46 AM

Hi Bill

No, as I say, I sold mine. They were used though. I had the presence to keep them but it didn't last.

Pics? Nope, can't say I do. From those times it's more memories than momentos. Good times.

Mike, the Lynx had it all. Or none... but that's what made it great. Sure, it was cramped and had no surv gear. Sure the comms were shi**y at best. Sure it had flammable armour (if you left the belly plate off and went to put out grass fires). Couldn't stop a 9mm from 9000! Big ole .50 in a cradle you couldn't really maneuver and C5 GPMG you had to bend a trigger bar to get chunckin'. But man; go anywhere and do anything. Tracked (and good track), swam, through mud and snow like snot. Dump one out the back of a Herc at 1500ft....Whoah! 19mm socket and a track kit and you were golden. I did four torsion bars in an OP base once!

Can you tell I loved the Lynx.

regards
Darrell