British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-15, 03:23 PM

Default FGH Title on ebay

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the odd FGH title currently running on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fort-Garry-H...item259e3ffcec

It is a "variant" that I have never seen before and not one I'm terribly comfortable with. I have handled virtually every "known" variation of FGH insignia through the FGH museum and various private collections and this is not one I have ever encountered. It is very crude and the embroidery is very similar to others I have seen produced in Pakistan. Of course there is a chance that an industrious trooper had a couple knocked out by local craftspeople but I have my doubts.

Has anyone else seen another of this type? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Old 22-01-15, 03:38 PM

Greg,

Check out his other cloth badges for sale.

All look brand new.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 22-01-15, 04:12 PM

This patch is clearly a cut and paste result using original parts but sticking two separate sections together to form a 'new' flash. It is not an original flash, but a made up one.

Raymond
Old 22-01-15, 05:28 PM

I am also uncomfortable with it. As stated above I have never seen this variation before. Other regiment's had titles made with similar style of stitching during this period but the stitching is nor the right color (baby blue) and I have never seen a WWII title with the backing cut away for the add on.
It also shows no signs of being worn.
Old 22-01-15, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48th View Post
It also shows no signs of being worn.
This is one of the things that bothers me about it. There is damage to the thread in the second "R" of "GARRY" but virtually none in the surrounding area (or anywhere else for that matter).

I fear as this has already been bid up to a fair $ amount that auction fever may trump common sense. Someone will be very unhappy years down the road.

I'm not saying 100% that it is bogus but if it is real then it is a one off and poorly made at that.

Would love to get other thoughts and opinions.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 22-01-15, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

The more I look at that title, the less I like it. It has serifs that are typical of reproductions. The colour of the blue field is too light, and on correct titles the embroidery colour of Canada should match the blue field colour. The weight of the embroidery is very heavy, and a type that is not usually seen. The odd cut and paste of the bottom panel is not found on titles that were worn.
Old 22-01-15, 08:24 PM

All good observations guys.

I also noticed that the glue on the back is strategically covering the cut out on the backing. Just to many things about this title that don't add up.
More and more repros popping up all the time. I am glad there is this forum to educate and inform each other.

The sad thing is I bet it sells for a lot of money, $100+??

Last edited by 48th; 22-01-15 at 08:41 PM.
Old 24-01-15, 01:26 AM

Exclamation

Maybe I can not see the picture clear enough but is it possible that the yellow Canada tab on the title is only glued on? I can not see any stitching attaching the yellow tab to the rest of the title. Hard to make out on the back but the front shows no stitching as well. I could be wrong though.

There sure seems to be a lot of interest in it.
Old 25-01-15, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48th View Post
Maybe I can not see the picture clear enough but is it possible that the yellow Canada tab on the title is only glued on? I can not see any stitching attaching the yellow tab to the rest of the title. Hard to make out on the back but the front shows no stitching as well. I could be wrong though.

There sure seems to be a lot of interest in it.
No. Not glued on. If you look closely you can see that the yellow tab is tacked on in three or four places. They are very small tack stitches and hard to see but they are there.

It's already @ $100. This will be a pricey lesson for someone I'm afraid.

Greg