British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-22, 04:29 PM

Default Private Frederick Joseph LAMB - 4th Bn Royal Sussex Regt

Gents, some info requested about my Great Uncle who was killed in WW1.

A very sad tale, which was fleshed out over the Christmas period by some elderly family.

Private Frederick Joseph LAMB
G/22203
4th Bn Royal Sussex Regt.
Date of death - 6/11/17 in Jerusalem, where is commemorated on the wall of the British military cemetery. He has curiously no known grave. Also commemorated on the Regt/ Bn plaque in Winchester Cathedral I understand.

I have managed to get a look at the Regimental diary online and there were no overt combat actions recorded for that date. Odd if he died of wounds later as he has no known grave.

He was one of five siblings to an East London family. I am told the family always had very lively parties, especially Christmas, however they were crushed at the death of Freddy ( the youngest at 19) and the the family were never the same again and never to have another party ever.

Both his parents ( my Great Grand parents) were killed together in East London during the Blitz when a direct hit, struck the small glass blowing factory they had .

If anyone has greater skill, knowledge and access to sites, I would very much appreciate any help in finding out about his service and how Freddy met his end. The family never really knew.

Happy new year all

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by bess55; 04-01-22 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-01-22, 04:46 PM

The cap badge in the photo is that of the Royal Sussex Regt. Did he transfer?

CB
Old 04-01-22, 04:51 PM

You're quite right Royal Sussex Regt ( no idea where that came from) - amended- thank you.
Old 04-01-22, 05:56 PM

Found the attached for you that states “killed in action”. Also on find my past it has killed in action in Egypt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1362961-3F0C-4E1F-BE43-2B92A8038E12.jpg (62.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-01-22, 06:02 PM

Ah, interesting thank you very much.
Old 04-01-22, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Found the attached for you that states “killed in action”. Also on find my past it has killed in action in Egypt.
Based on date , possibly involved in Battle of Tel el Khuweilfe .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...general_attack

Quote:
Mott deployed four infantry battalions, the 158th Brigade with the 4/Royal Sussex of the 160th Brigade attached, to attack under cover of his divisional artillery (less one battery), the 91st Heavy Battery and the concentrated machine guns.

.......Meanwhile, on the left, the 7th Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers and the 4th Battalion Sussex captured Hill 1706 and the spur to the west in very close fighting.

.....The 158th Brigade suffered 620 casualties on 6 and 7 November, while the Imperial Camel Brigade suffered 76 casualties, the 2nd Light Horse Brigade Machine Gun Squadron suffered 27 casualties and the Middlesex 14 casualties, the Sussex casualties were unknown.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 04-01-22, 06:38 PM

I was wondering if wounded at Tel el Khuweilfe, died Jerusalem?
But if so it seems likely he'd have a grave in Jerusalem.
Old 04-01-22, 07:13 PM

Default lamb

Hi, from Ancestry

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamb.jpg (107.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg lamb2.jpg (59.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-01-22, 07:16 PM

The online war diary gives an account of quite a significant action (Soldiers Died in the Great War shows 42 members of the Battalion killed in action on that date).
Oddly enough the "register of effects" for Pte Lamb shows his place of death as Syria ???

PL
Old 04-01-22, 07:39 PM

That's fantastic thank you gentlemen - I knew my online mates would pull it out of the bag. One can suspect the conditions were not conducive to bringing bodies across deserts - if indeed there was much of a body to recover - who knows. Poor lad.

It genuinely makes me feel quite emotional - that touch from the past. It's why were all here isn't it?

Heart felt thanks guys.

Sean B
Old 04-01-22, 07:44 PM

Default lamb

No problem Sean,

might be a bit more on him on ancestry, but a bit tricky as he only seems to have used his first name and there are a lot of Frederick Lambs on there...I did see that there is some info in his pension records, but I can't access because it is in fold3 area.

Mark
Old 04-01-22, 07:56 PM

Much appreciated Mark. My mum (her Uncle) gets very emotional whenever I tell her I'm trying to do some research.

Historically his death had a great impact on the family. Photos of him and his medals were all lost curtesy of the Luftwaffe.
Old 04-01-22, 08:10 PM

Bess,

All i can say is OMG. My great uncle was 7th Bn East Yorkshire Regiment, served on the front in WW1. No known grave, name on the Ypres Memorial and also on the Regimental memorial in Beverley Minster. Strange thing is when i looked at the Regimental War book for the date he is reported to have died the 7th were not even in the line, having been sent to the rear for rest a few days before. Like you i do not understand and would love to have more information. One day i will try and find out more but too busy at the moment.
Steve
Old 04-01-22, 08:20 PM

Default research

Hi Steve,

when you get chance either put his details ie name and service number if you have it on here or drop me a pm or email and I will see what I can find. Sometimes, soldiers are simply listed as 'died' and may not be killed in action for example died as a result of an accident or possibly fell ill and died. Could also have died as a result from a wound received which might explain the date of death a while after the regiments withdrawl.

Mark
Old 04-01-22, 08:31 PM

I’m originally from the area and still work just around the corner from Loddiges Road E9. That road and Frampton Park Road are now surrounded by post war housing estates due to the Luftwaffe and 1950s ‘slum’ clearances in Hackney.