British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-09, 06:23 PM

Smile Chromed badges

Having seen a chromed Buffs badge on the Infantry thread and it being attributed to an Armoured unit or possibly NCO/bandsman, I wonder if members would like to compile a list of badges they have that are chromed, possibly attributing them to a particular unit and a timespan.

I feel this is one of the areas of badge collecting that has never been fully explored. I have four chromed badges with screw posts, Cambridgeshire, HLI QC, Wiltshire Yeomanry and Middlesex Regt, this badge had a backing plate made from aluminium sheet in the shape of the badge when I bought it. It has been suggested that these may have been made for car badges, which I can understand, but not the Middlesex, as this appears from having a backing plate to have been worn.

I would be interested in other members thoughts on the subject.
Old 21-02-09, 06:55 PM
Former Member

Smile Chromed badges

I have always been led to believe that chromed badges were worn by those attached to Royal Armoured Corps units, I have;

Royal Engineers KC
Royal Signals KC
Army Catering Corps KC
R Army Pay Corps
RASC in both King's and Queen's crown
(I'm sure I have a few more but without a dig out I cannot recall)

which would support this theory as most major units had and still do have attached Corps personnel in supporting roles.

During WW2 many Infantry battlions converted to tanks, again it is my understanding that some of these wore their regular pattern cap badge which was chromed, of which I have:

King's Own (Lancaster)

I also have:

Royal Artillery in both King's and Queen's crown

Gunner Units would have converted from towed guns to Mechanised or Armoured vehicles to keep up with the Tanks and would be part of RAC formations!

I would be delighted if anyone has information in support of the above?

As to the badges with screw threads, they are most probably car badges, I have seen many over the years both on their enamel backing plates, lose and in peoples collections as cap badges?
Old 21-02-09, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Gunner Units would have converted from towed guns to Mechanised or Armoured vehicles to keep up with the Tanks and would be part of RAC formations!
In your dreams! RHA/RA units would never be part of RAC formations! "In direct support" or "in support" but never "part of".

And as for mechanised units "keeping up with the Tanks" no tank made in those days could keep up with an RHA battery going across country at the gallop.

I've heard these described as walking out badges but never as mechanised gunners, and then only 'til the RSM saw them. Band?
Old 21-02-09, 08:03 PM

Can I add a couple of things. I have a chromed Kings ( Manchester and Liverpool ) badge with screw posts , I have always belived it was made for a musicians pouch.( It is in my opinion too small and too modern for a car badge)

Also, I have been told that regiments had badges chromed for particular occasions ( presentation of colours and the like ) and also for wear by Pipers which might explain chromed Liverpool Scottish and Liverpool Irish badges but not those of other regiments.

A most interesting thread and although it has been aired before I am most interested in what others think. One thing that does interest me is when was chromium plating discovered/invented, it was suggested recently it was in the 1930`s or 1940`s but I had thought it was many years before that

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-02-09, 08:29 PM
Former Member

Default Chromed Badges

I am still certain that the answer lies with a conection to the Royal Armoured Corps!!! As for the car badges I've seen they have ALL been the same size as regular pattern cap badges!

Band badges, I feel is spurious conection and why on earth would anyone have a badge chromed for walking out? ("Walking out" for those unaware is a term used for going out when not on duty (during wartime this would have been in uniform)!

I Hope someone does have the answer to this one!
Old 21-02-09, 08:48 PM

Andy,
I have examples of both Liverpool Irish and Liverpool Scottish chromed badges and neither have a connection with RAC.

I cannot believe the plating has been done by other than be the regiments themselves as it seems an expensive procedure to chrome plate them when it doesnt add much to their value as collectables.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9638.jpg (39.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9629.jpg (30.6 KB, 86 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-02-09, 08:57 PM
Former Member

Default Chromed Badges

In RAC I mean "In Tanks" as Territorial Bns I would have have though they would be ideal candidates to be mobilised as an Armoured unit!?????????
Old 21-02-09, 09:14 PM

I meant Royal Armoured Corps as well but whilst both the Liverpool Scottish ( 2nd Bn) and liverpool Irish had Royal Artillery connections neither had any connections with the Royal Armoured Corps.

P.B.

Old 21-02-09, 09:19 PM
Former Member

Default Chromed Badges

O.K. Point noted!!

Does anyone know which "King's Own (Lancaster) Bn" was in tanks during WW2 and would be most likely to have had a chromed badge?
Old 21-02-09, 10:31 PM

Smile Chromed badges

From what I have read, chromium plating was first used in the 1920's which would seem correct for the badges that I have seen. The theory of bandsmen wearing chromed badges could well be correct as I have a Highland Fusiliers Pipers QC badge that has been chromed.

Other badges that I have that have been attributed to units are:-

Royal Engineers GviR with a matt type chrome finish which was worn by officers of 32 Assault Regt.

Army Catering Corps (the person who gave me this said it was his brother's who was a Sergeant cook).

Manchester Regt worn by 8th/9th Btns for a parade in 1959.

It is obvious that badges were not chromed accidently, possibly they may have been done as an experiment which was later decided against adopting for the unit due to expense or the fact that the powers that be were not amused!
Old 21-02-09, 11:17 PM

May be off topic here but, to answer P.B. question here's what I have found. First,chrome plating didn't get used until the late 1920s,before that appliances and other stuff were nickel plated,sometimes silver plated. Nickel plating gives off a yellowish hue.
Here are two source on chrome plating.
Jo
http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/nickfull/chrome.htm

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 22-02-09, 12:58 PM

Thanks for that Jo

Peter

Old 22-02-09, 01:26 PM
Administrator

reminded me of this one I have. obviously now't to do with armour either.
even the pin is chromed. came with WW1 medals.

Old 22-02-09, 01:31 PM
Former Member

Default Chromed Badges

Mike,
WAAC personnel would have been attached to RAC units!
Old 22-02-09, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Mike,
WAAC personnel would have been attached to RAC units!

ah well there you go then!

have a 1st type chrome REME in the sales section that fits the bill but I'm not allowed to advertise it.