British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-15, 06:14 PM

Default Imperial Service Badge

Hi all,

I'm looking for some opinions on this imperial service badge.

To me the letters don't look very sharp so I'm wondering if that means this is a fake.

I'm very new to all this so looking for some opinions please.

Thanks

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-29 18.10.37.jpg (36.7 KB, 106 views)
Old 29-10-15, 06:24 PM

Michael,

They were die cast so that might explain why the letters are not sharp but a picture of the back of the badge would help Forum members to give you their opinions.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-10-15, 06:24 PM
Former Member

Michael,
from what you show it looks fine to me, there are several variations, some better than others!

Andy
Old 29-10-15, 06:44 PM

Its fine. An original badge

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 29-10-15, 06:48 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll add a picture of the back but it sounds like I'm ok.

Thanks again,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-29 18.45.37.jpg (18.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 29-10-15, 08:09 PM

Best to link to the original ebay page Shiny- as the pictures belong to the seller. Regards, Paul.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forum_rules.htm
Old 09-12-15, 02:40 PM

Default Brass version of IS badge??

Hi Chaps

Even after over a century these Imperial Service badges are still quite common, I have a few examples in my collection.

However, when glancing through "Medal Yearbook" I was surprised to see that it states they were produced in "Cupro-nickel or brass".

I've seen many examples but only in white metal, never seen a brass example. Has anyone got/seen a brass version?

I think the book may have got it wrong but if they were awarded in both metals, who were the brass badges awarded to?

I should mention that I'm looking at the 2016 edition of the book (item 234A), I'm not sure to what extent the same info appears in earlier editions as I've given my old copies away.

David
Old 09-12-15, 03:03 PM

Some previous discussion here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...perial+Service

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-12-15, 03:11 PM

Hi Peter

Many thanks for that, seems like the book is correct after all.

The brass version must be far scarcer than the WM, I wonder what the difference signifies, if anything?

David
Old 09-12-15, 03:19 PM

David,

I have never seen a explanation for the different metals but brass ones must be worth picking up if you come across one.

Peter

Old 09-12-15, 03:54 PM

Gents,

The brass ISBs which we see in circulation today are, in my opinion, and to the best of my knowledge, completely bogus. My research to date has revealed nothing as yet in the way of documentary evidence relating to its manufacture, other than a costing estimate from Jennens, in Aug of 1909 (which also included prices for w/m badges). This estimate was submitted to the WO before it was finally decided that they would be made in white-metal only, hence the reason I feel the brass version was never officially manufactured/issued/worn etc.

From the outset the War Office wanted this to be an inexpensive badge, though paradoxically, the w/m version was marginally more expensive in the Jennens estimates.

During the period of the badge's inception, the then Secretary of State, proposed that the King reconsider his initial approval for the badge to be w/m, for a bronze version instead. However, the King was having none of it and aced him out by sticking with his initial decision/approval of the white-metal version.

White-metal and g/m examples shown below:

Regards to all,

image.jpg

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 09-12-15 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 09-12-15, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
...I've seen many examples but only in white metal, never seen a brass example. Has anyone got/seen a brass version... David
David,

Here is an example of a g/m badge:

Regards,

image.jpg
Old 09-12-15, 08:23 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Gents,

The brass ISBs which we see in circulation today are, in my opinion, and to the best of my knowledge, completely bogus. My research to date has revealed nothing as yet in the way of documentary evidence relating to its manufacture, other than a costing estimate from Jennens, in Aug of 1909 (which also included prices for w/m badges). This estimate was submitted to the WO before it was finally decided that they would be made in white-metal only, hence the reason I feel the brass version was never officially manufactured/issued/worn etc.

From the outset the War Office wanted this to be an inexpensive badge, though paradoxically, the w/m version was marginally more expensive in the Jennens estimates.

During the period of the badge's inception, the then Secretary of State, proposed that the King reconsider his initial approval for the badge to be w/m, for a bronze version instead. However, the King was having none of it and aced him out by sticking with his initial decision/approval of the white-metal version.

White-metal and g/m examples shown below:

Regards to all,

Attachment 137290
JT,
I believe Jennens only made officers badges? I'm sure I've a very well made Gm example somewhere, I will dig it out and post images! As theses are awards perhaps they were produced in Gm for officers, rather than private purchase items like other officers insignia?

Andy
Old 09-12-15, 08:50 PM

Silly question but did officers wear them or were they expected to go as part of their service if need be.
Old 09-12-15, 09:09 PM

I am sure officers did wear the "broach", it is certainly implied that they did in Westlakes "The Territorials 1908-1914 " and I am also sure that I have seen pictures of it been worn by officers but I cannot lay my hand on one at the moment.

P.B.