British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-19, 02:02 AM

Hi all

Just going through some old posts and found this exchange about ISBs so am re-posting this pic of two of my "personalised" ISBs. Love the GS buttons? Always good to have a spare in case you have a "kit deficiency"! Never know when the RSM will have kit inspection.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isb.JPG (36.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-10-21, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
Could it be that the brass ones were produced for sale as sweetheart badges ?

The main sweethearts followed regiments badges in design so could these have been sold to mother wives and partners ? Im sure there would have been some pride associated with a volunteer volunteering to serving in far and distant lands
I know this is an old thread but an enamelled (Lambourne 43mm) version just sold on eBay , I assume this is a sweetheart 'modification' ?

Or a fake as the lettering , especially the 'V' seems wrong !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imperial Service.jpg (46.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Imperial Service R.jpg (61.3 KB, 17 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 06-10-21 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I know this is an old thread but an enamelled (Lambourne 43mm) version just sold on eBay , I assume this is a sweetheart 'modification' ?

Love it [thumbs up].
Old 06-10-21, 01:01 PM

Post 11 of this thread shows that the full size Imperial Service badges were also produced for collectors during the Great War.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=86521
Old 06-10-21, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Post 11 of this thread shows that the full size Imperial Service badges were also produced for collectors during the Great War.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=86521
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...2&postcount=35
Old 06-10-21, 01:54 PM

Photographs of T.F. soldiers actually wearing Imperial Service badges are surprisingly scarce. I have a large number of Great War soldier's portrait post cards taken in England before going overseas, and, of those known to be Territorials, very few are wearing the Imperial Service badge.

I have several albums of the various battalions of the London Regiment of which an extremely small number are wearing the badges.

This does not necessarily reflect the number of badges that were actually worn, as it only represents the number of soldiers who wore the badge whilst being photographed.

Of the three badges shown here, they all appear to have the three dimensional curved crown rather than a flat one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISB 001.jpg (40.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ISB 002.jpg (50.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ISB 007.jpg (33.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ISB 008.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ISB 012.jpg (35.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-10-21, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I'd say that's as kosher a Lambourne ISB as ever I've seen. Thanks for posting. Mike.

JT
Old 06-10-21, 02:05 PM

REPEAT POST - SELF DELETED

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 10-10-21 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 02:08 PM

Members of the 2/6th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment. The post card was posted on the 3rd April 1915.

Forty five Territorial soldiers but only three Imperial Service badges being visibly worn. We obviously do not know how many of those in the photograph were embodied under the new Territorial Regulations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISB 006.jpg (66.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-10-21, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Just for the sake of good ol' anorakism, here is a selection of ISB crowns (smelling salts available from your nearest Mod):

Attachment 258284
The Suttle badge appears to be the one with the flattened crown, notably different from the others.

I have these three in my collection, two of which have visible flaws to the crown.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=198382

Last edited by High Wood; 06-10-21 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Adding a link.
Old 06-10-21, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Members of the 2/6th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment. The post card was posted on the 3rd April 1915.

Forty five Territorial soldiers but only three Imperial Service badges being visibly worn. We obviously do not know how many of those in the photograph were embodied under the new Territorial Regulations.

A direct quote from 'A Soldier's Diary of the Great War' (originally published anonymously, the diaries are those of Captain Douglas Herbert Bell MC, who began his military life as a Territorial rifleman with the 1st Bn, The London Rifle Brigade).

'The battalion [1/5th Londons] volunteered for foreign service, and will go as a battalion. Eighty per cent volunteered, and of the remaining twenty per cent some have applied for commissions. We have started recruiting again to fill up from 800 to 1000, so as to go at full strength. We are all congratulating ourselves.

No pressure was put on any man to volunteer. Each man was called out of the ranks by the Company Commander, and quietly said Yes or No to him; that was all that happened.'
Old 06-10-21, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
I'd say that's as kosher a Lambourne ISB as ever I've seen. Thanks for posting. Mike.

JT
It was with a standard 1914 OWS badge made by Chas. Bach (never seen one before) and the lot went for £55.00.

I wasn't sure which one drove the price up or if they were both rare.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 06-10-21, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It was with a standard 1914 OWS badge made by Chas. Bach (never seen one before) and the lot went for £55.00.

I wasn't sure which one drove the price up or if they were both rare.

Mike,

The Lambourne ISB on its own is certainly not rare, though the enamelling (which I'd presume was period) makes it a little unusual, of course. A nice addition to any ISB collection... I'd have quite liked it myself.

All the best,

JT
Old 07-10-21, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Photographs of T.F. soldiers actually wearing Imperial Service badges are surprisingly scarce. I have a large number of Great War soldier's portrait post cards taken in England before going overseas, and, of those known to be Territorials, very few are wearing the Imperial Service badge.

I have several albums of the various battalions of the London Regiment of which an extremely small number are wearing the badges.

This does not necessarily reflect the number of badges that were actually worn, as it only represents the number of soldiers who wore the badge whilst being photographed.

Of the three badges shown here, they all appear to have the three dimensional curved crown rather than a flat one.
I am happy to repost a photo of a soldier in "trews" wearing his badge. I put this up some time back and was hoping for some answers as to his regiment....still waiting.
Old 07-10-21, 09:55 AM

Here it is again. Lying down on the job, I see...

Whatever will the barrack sergeant say...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imperial.jpg (73.4 KB, 21 views)