British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-14, 03:48 PM
Banned

Default The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges. 2nd. Edition.

Good afternoon.

Great news: this long awaited revised Volume on the badges of the Fifth Fusiliers is now printed and available. There are only 255 copies remaining, (and they are all sitting on my enormous desk too!) so if you'd like one, shout now. 208 pages in full colour, A4 size and it weighs a lot. Quite simply the best book on the badges of a single Regiment you will ever own, bar none.

Cost is GBP95 to include P+P within the UK. Cheques with order please to Col. D R Wood, 37 Canonbury Square, London, N1 2AN. For overseas orders, ask me for postage costs.

Or you can PM me for more details.

Enjoy.

S.T.

Remember, in this case, slow bairns get nowt, as we say in these parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fifth Fusiliers Cover.jpg (105.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg foreword_140918164514_0001.jpg (98.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Silver Tourist; 19-09-14 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Image added. Enjoy!
Old 15-08-14, 01:29 PM

Hi please se my pm.

Many thanks

TRT
Old 26-08-14, 10:55 AM
Banned

Good morning.

For those of you who have sent Col. Wood your cheques, I have just posted your books. Should be with you tomorrow, or Thursday. You know who you are. I think you'll enjoy them.

For those of you who have not yet got your cheque-books out: I wouldn't wait too long.

Enjoy.

S.T.
Old 27-08-14, 03:20 PM

I think it has arrived as a parcel was delivered today but I have to wait till my birthday!

Cant wait to open it!

TRT

Last edited by TRT; 27-08-14 at 03:44 PM.
Old 17-09-14, 12:12 AM

Default The Fifth Fusliiers and its Badges, 2nd. Edition

Just received my copy yesterday (thank you Silver Tourist). Excellent quality paper and binding and very well produced, lots of good info, great clear and crisp colour photographs of the badges and detailed descriptions. A very valuable reference source for serious NF collectors . . . I can't recommend it highly enough.

Lawrence
Old 17-09-14, 11:07 AM
Banned

Default The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges. 2nd Ed.

Thank you Mr G.

Glad you like the Book. Certainly lots of bedtime reading. And, I would reiterate that some of the items recorded are the only known examples. I had to trek into the deepest darkest corners of the Border lands to photograph some of those items. I had to go to Alnwick too, which was even worse! (Joke!)

Enjoy.

And if anyone finds anything to the 7th (Allendale) Corps NRV I may make them an insane offer.

Enjoy.

S.T.
Old 06-10-14, 08:31 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Tourist View Post
Good afternoon.

Great news: this long awaited revised Volume on the badges of the Fifth Fusiliers is now printed and available. There are only 255 copies remaining, (and they are all sitting on my enormous desk too!) so if you'd like one, shout now. 208 pages in full colour, A4 size and it weighs a lot. Quite simply the best book on the badges of a single Regiment you will ever own, bar none.

Cost is GBP95 to include P+P within the UK. Cheques with order please to Col. D R Wood, 37 Canonbury Square, London, N1 2AN. For overseas orders, ask me for postage costs.

Or you can PM me for more details.

Enjoy.

S.T.

Remember, in this case, slow bairns get nowt, as we say in these parts.
ST,
Opened the book yesterday and well, what can I say. Brilliant, first class for anything to do with Northumberland Fus and related badges. Very good to see the colour plates, additional text and new items. Will now have to change my number references - but then I'll have to pay more attention to whats written...
Great material and reference source. The colour plates also make a few things a lot clearer to me on some NF badges/fantasy items that I have that always seemed a bit "dodgy" or were a hodge-podge of good and bad (like the officers fur cap fixed to a "plate".
Its really good to see the results of how much effort must have gone into thi book - and the other regimental books that have been produced by forum members. Good to see some numbers on the Pipers badges. I need to take some close-ups of that WM one I have in order to try and decode the original HM date that was used...
Many thanks to Denis and yourself for all the effort.
Rgds, David
Old 06-10-14, 09:23 AM
Banned

Good morning.

Great pleasure: glad it pleases. I will pass on your appreciation to Col. Wood who, after all, did all the work. I just had a bit of a dig around in the dark Borders, and took a few pictures!

Regards.

S.
Old 07-10-14, 06:49 AM

Can't wait till tommorrow when I finally open my copy. Self bought birthday gift kept got the actual day!

TRT
Old 07-10-14, 04:09 PM
Banned

Good afternoon.

What fantastic self-restraint. I do hope you will not be disappointed. I will look forward to your review!

Enjoy.

S.T.
Old 12-10-14, 04:22 PM

Well the wait was worth it! My interest is not I the Fifth themselves but the more so the Great War. The TS and TI are well represented with clear images and narrative re metal and cloth. Also the other battalion cloth is also included in detail.

Full marks to all involved especially the author of course. If you want a genuinely good book on Regimental insignia this is it. Quality super and I recommend. I am also sure it will become a collectors item in its own right.

Thanks ST for sorting out the logistics and bringing it to my attention and book shelf!!!!!

TRT
Old 12-10-14, 08:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post
Well the wait was worth it! My interest is not I the Fifth themselves but the more so the Great War. The TS and TI are well represented with clear images and narrative re metal and cloth. Also the other battalion cloth is also included in detail.

Full marks to all involved especially the author of course. If you want a genuinely good book on Regimental insignia this is it. Quality super and I recommend. I am also sure it will become a collectors item in its own right.

Thanks ST for sorting out the logistics and bringing it to my attention and book shelf!!!!!

TRT
My conclusion is that today is your birthday. Congratulations and many happy returns (which a nice badge book going with each of the returns of course).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 13-10-14, 08:00 PM

Default The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges

I can only add my praise to all that has gone before about the 2nd Edition. Truth is, it is really a new book, as it puts the 1st Edition, my bible for many years, totally in the shade. Congratulations to Denis, now in his 87th year, for this magnus opus. Pleased to see a few of the badges from my own collection also made it into this edition

Also, I recently acquired a copy of Ivan Machin's book on the York & Lancasters, which is also very well produced and has great photographs. Been quite spoilt really, with two such great books in quick succession.

Both are an inspiration to all.

The Quartermaster
www.qmsmilitaria.com