British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-05-17, 07:03 PM

Default POLICE MERIT BADGE

I recently obtained this 'MERIT' badge issued by the Canterbury Police Force. It came with a photograph that contains three individuals wearing a similar badge in uniform. One of them has the Kings Police Medal.

I would like to ask if any Forum members are familiar with this badge and if so, can they tell me anything about it? The photograph probably dates from around the early part of the 20th century.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POLICE 1.jpg (36.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg POLICE 2.jpg (32.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-05-17, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
I recently obtained this 'MERIT' badge issued by the Canterbury Police Force. It came with a photograph that contains three individuals wearing a similar badge in uniform. One of them has the Kings Police Medal.

I would like to ask if any Forum members are familiar with this badge and if so, can they tell me anything about it? The photograph probably dates from around the early part of the 20th century.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Malcolm,

I have a fairly comprehensive collection of insignia from Canterbury Police, but this item is new to me. I have a number of merit badges from several different police forces in the UK but not this one. The best course of action from a research point of view is to look at the Canterbury Watch Committee minutes. These are located at the local history section of the main library in Canterbury. If you would care to allow me sight of the photo I may be able to put an approximate date on it. I hope this is helpful.

Should you ever consider moving it on, please let me know.

Best wishes, Dave.
Old 12-05-17, 09:03 PM

Hello Dave.

Many thanks for the reply. Will do as you suggest.

Can you tell me what these badges were awarded for? Was it for some act of bravery or for long service etc?

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 12-05-17, 09:14 PM

Malcolm,

Firstly, I've just done a quick search of KPM's and other gallantry awards awarded to members of police forces between 1909 and 1978 and no one (according to my reference book) from Canterbury Police was ever awarded a KPM. The KPM being introduced in 1909. Are you sure that those shown in the photo are from Canterbury Police?

Secondly, the criteria for the award of force merit badges depended upon the force itself and what the Watch Committee considered worthy. It could be good police work over a long period or a single act, be it policing or creditable conduct of some kind.

Dave.
Old 12-05-17, 09:23 PM

Hello Dave.

I will try to scan the picture sometime over the weekend and post details.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 12-05-17, 11:50 PM

Photo and details. 1. first shows the badge printed onto the photo mount. 2. The photographers signature. 3. Depicts the whole group. 4. Those wearing the MERIT badge. 5. What I believe to be a Kings Police Medal and South Africa Medal 1877-79.

It is possible the badge I have belonged to Sergeant Lewis Edwin Richardson.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. CANT BADGE.jpg (94.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2. CANT SIG.jpg (46.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 3. CANT GROUP.jpg (59.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 4. CANT TRIO.jpg (45.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 5. CANT MEDALS.jpg (114.0 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by mjw; 13-05-17 at 06:14 AM.
Old 13-05-17, 09:51 AM

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for the images. Without doubt Canterbury. There are several Richardson's who were awarded a KPM, but none for Canterbury Police and none with those first names. The photo was taken before 1913, for sure. Probably between 1900 and 1907 when John W. Farmery was Chief Constable. I think that is him in the centre front row. If you could post a close up of his head and shoulders I can confirm or otherwise. Of course, if the photo was taken between the years shown then I doubt whether the medal is the KPM?

The medal certainly looks like a KPM. If it is not Sgt. Richardson who is wearing the medal, but someone else, then there is a possibility that the award may have been earned whilst the recipient was serving in another police force and he has later transferred to Canterbury. That is the only explanation I can give for it not being recorded in the reference book I have.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 13-05-17 at 01:51 PM.
Old 13-05-17, 03:48 PM

Hello Dave.

Many thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated.

I think Richardson is the Sergeant in the middle. Not the one with medals.The photo was accompanied by a letter of thanks from his police force and his St. John Ambulance service cross.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLOSE UP.jpg (27.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 13-05-17, 03:59 PM

Many thanks Malcolm, for the close up photo. I'm fairly sure it is Mr. Farmery. Best of luck with your research. I'd be interested in knowing the outcome of it all. Especially the potential KPM mystery.

Best wishes, Dave.

PS. An afterthought. Does the date of the letter you mention and the name of the individual who signed it tie in with my time frame/ name of the Chief?

Dave.
Old 13-05-17, 04:09 PM

Hello Dave.

The letter is from the Chief Constable's Office, Canterbury, dated 11th May 1928. It is a character reference relating to the previous five years when he was employed as Sergeant in charge of the Detective Department. I cannot read the signature, but looks like J. A. A. Donnelly or Downely? Captain, Chief Constable.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 13-05-17, 05:03 PM

Malcolm,

On the date in question, the Chief Constable of Canterbury was Captain J. A. McDonnell. He was Chief from 1st August 1923 until 31st May 1930.

Best wishes, Dave.
Old 13-05-17, 09:05 PM

Hello Dave.

Thanks for all your help. Greatly appreciated. Will post an update if I find anything further. Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 14-05-17, 08:40 AM

Hello,

Lovely photo showing excellent range of various Canterbury Police badges.

With regards to the medal there is a chance it could be the Coronation (Police) Medal 1911, it certainly has the correct suspension and ribbon, the colours obviously being visually altered by the early photographic process.

I know that puts the photo beyond the dates Dave suggest but not by much and in any case if it is a KPM it cant be before 1909.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 14-05-17, 11:53 AM

Hello Simon.

Thank you for interesting post.

I have enlarged the picture as much as I can and the medal appears to have an obverse portrait of Edward VII.

In light of your post I would now amend my original attribution and suggest it could be a Delhi Durbar Medal 1903. However this would need to take into account changes make by the photographic process to the ribbon colour as you suggest.

The coloured stripes on each side of the ribbon extend to the edges, as per the Delhi Durbar 1903 ribbon. The 1911 Police Coronation ribbon has a thin strip of red outside of the blue stripes. This is not present in the photograph.

What do you think?

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 14-05-17, 12:05 PM

Malcolm,

Simon could well be right. The 1911 Coronation medal was awarded to the following members of the Canterbury City Police viz

Chief Constable Mr. L. T. DUNK
Inspector Christopher JACKSON
Sergeant John Charles IVES

If correct then the CC in the photo is obviously not Mr. Farmery. Just for your added interest (and Simon's), see the attached photo.

Best wishes, Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canterbury.jpg (92.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by altcar73; 14-05-17 at 12:17 PM.