British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-05-21, 12:12 PM

Default Home Guard

I need the help of the forum to identify the badge, which country and when?

Malaya?

Thank you for looking, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Possibly Malaya Home Guard.jpg (92.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-05-21, 01:49 PM

I think the script is Bengali. Just for a start.

And the Bengal Tiger goes with this

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 07-05-21, 03:43 PM

In India the Home Guard is an auxiliary police unit. They were established in several parts of India during the 1960s - including Bengal. There is an article on the 'Home Guard (India)' on Wikipedia.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 07-05-21, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
In India the Home Guard is an auxiliary police unit. They were established in several parts of India during the 1960s - including Bengal. There is an article on the 'Home Guard (India)' on Wikipedia.

Pete
Sorry to be pedantic, but when this is India in the 1960s then it is West Bengal.

Old 08-05-21, 09:58 AM

Hi Henk

Please feel free to be as pedantic as you wish! There's no greater pedant than me!

This isn't actually my field of collecting - I'm an Royal Navy collector. I just happened to come across something about the Home Guard (India) when I was searching for something else and thought I'd pass it on.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 08-05-21, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Hi Henk

Please feel free to be as pedantic as you wish! There's no greater pedant than me!

This isn't actually my field of collecting - I'm an Royal Navy collector. I just happened to come across something about the Home Guard (India) when I was searching for something else and thought I'd pass it on.

Pete
Thank you for not being offended. It is just geographic and history and all that (and nothing to do with badges field of collection). Bengal was split into West and East in 1947. East became East Pakistan and later Bangladesh. West Bengal is still one of the states of India. So when there is any government institution within India, it can't be Bengal (Bangladesh would vehement protest I assume). but probably organized on the state level and thus West Bengal.

But you remark about Home Guards organized in India in the 60s is of course a valuable addition to the probable origin of the badge.

My next step, following your information was going to Wikipedia. And see: HomeGuard (India).

It indeed mentions the Home Guard also being active in Bengal (sic!), but when you click there it goes to the state of West Bengal (I may change that, after all it is Wikipedia and making improvements can be done by everybody).

Old 08-05-21, 10:49 AM

I searched a little bit around using Goggle Translate, etc.

Home Guard in Bengali is: ঘরের রক্ষক
I see some similarity between the second word (guard) and one of the words on the badge (starting a bit right from the top of the badge). Not much I admit.