British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-23, 11:23 PM

Default The Kings Royal RifleCorps Badge, Victorian Era?

I am a longtime collector, but a fairly new collector of the more "vintage" British badges and pins. I am hoping to get some observations, opinions, and information from the more knowledgeable members here on the forum.

I picked this badge up off of US eBay awhile back. I won the auction for .99 cents, and free shipping! It was one of my better deals :-)

The badge looks 100% original to me, and it has an amazing patina. It is by far one of the favorites in my collection. The backside of the badge has been modified and turned into a pin. This is something I don't know much about. I am wondering if this was common practice for soldiers still in service, or if it would have been modified after service.
Judging from the style of the crown, I assume this would fall into the Victorian era?
Thanks for any and all feedback.
Cheers!
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01790.jpg (118.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01792.jpg (119.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01793.jpg (101.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01794.jpg (91.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01796.jpg (118.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01797.jpg (106.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-03-23, 11:26 AM

Mark,

A lovely original Victorian badge c. 1898 - 1902 and and an absolute bargain.

Originally it had two loops, east and west and as you have mentioned it has had a pin fitted.

It was not worn this way in Service, but it was common practice for cap badges to be converted as 'Sweetheart' badges to be worn by wives and girlfriends, like yours.

It does cause its financial value to be less than an original but none the less still a lovely badge from the front.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 03-03-23, 01:29 PM

Yes lovely badge.
Tony.
Old 03-03-23, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

The pins were also added for ex-soldiers to wear on civilian jacket lapels to show their service.
Old 07-03-23, 03:39 PM

Thank you for all the feedback on the badge. I really appreciate it! I am working on a "shadow box" display for my British and Commonwealth badges that I have been accumulating through the years and having an accurate record of each one is part of the process. In my collecting, the real value is in the "story" that a particular piece is telling, more than the actual financial value of a piece. I will always choose the "been there done that" piece with patina and character over "new and pristine". :-)