British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-23, 02:02 PM

Default Shooting grand prix crossed rifles badge help?

Hello, I am trying to identify this badge. I think it's a sleeve proficiency badge?
As it has crossed percussion rifles I think it might date to 1890's? Also it says "Shooting Grand Prix" in French so this might be Canadian? The badge looks very British in style to me? But thought I would post and see what your thoughts were? One of the barrel tips is broken off. This was found in a shop next to the Mississippi river here in USA. I have ground dug buttons from war of 1812 from the banks of the Mississippi river. I live near Dubuque Iowa and this area was fur trapping grounds settled by Julien Dubuque 1780's a Canadian. I don't think this is that old? But old stuff turns up here. I collect WWI-WWII and found no information on this badge other that what's on the net. I don't think its very common or I would have found one. Please any thoughts would be great. I am not selling it. I just want to know what it is. Or at least tell me it's not British? Thank you. Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230315_231210aa.jpg (71.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20230315_231242aa.jpg (60.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by GUMBYTODDNET; 17-03-23 at 06:44 PM. Reason: better description
Old 14-04-23, 06:17 PM

Just checking back on this post. Crickets chirping! No luck I see? Thanks again!
Old 14-04-23, 06:30 PM

Nice looking find
Old 14-04-23, 07:17 PM

100% not British

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-05-23, 08:49 PM

That's what I needed to know. Thank you very much! Back to research.
Old 11-05-23, 12:39 AM

A very interesting item, apparently a foreign equivalent of the post-1860 Rifle Vols musketry prize sleeve badges worn by UK and Colonal regiments when at last they had an accurate rifle (the 1853 Enfield) so that an individual soldier could actually hit a target. Training a soldier at a rifle range and
encouraging civilian rifle clubs was quite a change from the volley firing at Waterloo. These skill at arms badges have evolved to the present day into some remarkable varieties.
A while ago on Ebay there was a similar badge, undoubtly Britsh crossed Sniders, the closest I have ever come to seeing one.
IMHO the back of the foreign badge appears to be to be a low quality later addition. The rifle looks French or more likely Belgian, a breech loader with a back action lock and a breechblock that opened forward like a Springfield, an Austrian Wenzl or (more likely) a Belgian Albini. This would put it around 1870 to 1885.
Old 16-05-23, 03:44 PM

Thank you Kingsley. Great info! I am leaning Belgian now.

I attend the Show of Shows in Kentucky every February. It is one of the biggest shows here in the States. If I have no luck by then. It will go there with me next year.
Old 19-05-23, 02:54 AM

I have one in my collection.
I have it classed as a French badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7497.jpg (35.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 19-05-23, 07:19 AM

David, allowing for artistic license, the rifles represented on your badge look to me like 1889 model Belgian Mausers, which makes it a successor to the Belgian Albini skill at arms badge. With the magazine, they can't be French Chassepots, Gras or Lebel rifles and don't look much like the later French Berthier either. In a European collection somewhere there may well be earlier or later variations as well but these are the first examples I have ever seen.