British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-24, 07:36 AM

Default APJI wing with metal backing

Hi Team

A nice hand made private purchase APJI wing , note the shroud , serif letters and green wreath. But most interesting is the metal APJI shaped brass backing.

Had pins on the back as one is bent in.

Has anyone come across cloth wings being glued to metal backing and what significance does it hold.

Also where made?

All opinions welcomed.

cheers

Phill
Old 01-03-24, 09:07 AM

I would guess for wear in shirt sleeves pre-CS95 so it could be removed when the shirt is laundered.

That said, I've seen that done for tropical uniforms but never on working dress - the only removable wings I ever had apart from pin on US Navy ones were on press studs for my tropical mess jacket.
Old 01-03-24, 11:29 AM

As Royal says, for shirt sleeve wear in tropical areas. The wings were first authorised in 1955, so my guess would be for wear on OG shirts in Malaya or Borneo. By the time DPM jungle shirts were issued in the 1970s wings would be sewn on (if worn at all).
Old 01-03-24, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I first thought this would of been used on a plaque and not uniform!

I have in my collection snap on stud Padded Para, SAS wing.

Also have a standard RAF, AD wing plus a BCOF Formation sign and a WWII Para wing (paste backed) worn by a kiwi in the Malaya Borneo Vietnam period all with snap on studs.

But never did I think of a metal backing wing worn on British/Commonwealth tropical uniform!!

I am wondering if this might be a Malayan made wing or made in the far east as I have a hand guided major rank slide with a printed New Zealand flash sewn on.

Anyway its a nice addition for that period in my collection.

cheers

Phill
Old 01-03-24, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

It's been many years since tropical uniform badges were worn in any number and bespoke badge for them are long gone. I can't see many occasions when an AJPI would be in a location where he might have worn it.
Old 01-03-24, 08:24 PM

Thanks Alan

Based on what has been mentioned,my thoughts are that the original intent behind a metal backing would of been to be used on a tropical uniform maybe early on and then later insignia replaced by snap on studs, which would of been more practical and cheaper than shaping a metal wing.

However note how the pin has been bent and the other broken so possible use as a souvenair or to be used on a plaque or something like that, I guess we will never know.

Because it has been done it makes a nice mystery piece.

cheers

Phill
Old 02-03-24, 04:42 PM

It might not be a British Army badge, as it has a almost horizontal line of thread through the rigging lines.

Marc
Old 02-03-24, 06:36 PM

Hi Marc

My theory on the line thru the shrouds is that it is to stop or hold the silk shroud lines from being loosened from weather elements as the silk threads are loosely sewn onto the felt backing.

Also note the wreath they look more like Japanese Blossoms than a British wreath vine(?).

This was typically done with silk embroidered patch's in Japan for US forces during occupation period and later.

Sometimes if they are large patch's it would look like a quilt effect over the patch.

see Sugamo Prison patch as an example.

Above is another wing with the same effect.

I do have a WWII NZ officers rank slides which has a similar effect on the Italian made NEW ZEALAND title, so maybe that is typical of a seamstress who knows with experiance loose silk thread has potential to be broken if not held down.

cheers

Phill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUGAMO SSI-2.jpg (82.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Captain WWII rank slides-25.jpg (118.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20221012_121116 (2).jpg (33.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20221012_121129 (2).jpg (40.2 KB, 5 views)