British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-19, 04:01 AM

Default 40 pc belt looking for origin.

Hello,

This hate belt turned up in Edmonton and I’m unsure of it’s age or where it’s been as well as a few of the emblems on it.

Blue=fallen off green=reapplied...I know.

In order (sort of) Hindoostan Leicester, artillery, ?, black watch, Royal Dublin fusiliers, RFA (?), (?),Canadian shoulder, machine gun corps, (unknown) infantry, Canadian shoulder, (?Tudor rose?), bomb(artillery?), Canadian engineers,Canadian tunic button, RCR (? Button), Cornwall, Canadian shoulder, 58th overseas Canadian collar, C1 Canadian?, Yorkshire regt, 52 new Ontario, ?tudor rose?), Newfoundland button, #2(unknown), Canadian c5?, engineers collar, Canada collar, 36 ulster vol, c.a.s.c?, ?carabiners?, French button, 74th Canadian overseas battalion, 1st Ontario collar, hampshire regt, 1st mounted rifles Manitoba collar pin, T6 Essex.

As far as I can tell the person who collected this may have lived in Edmonton but am totally unaware of where or when this belt was collected.

If I Really had to guess I’d say this was around the 1st battle of Ypres, possibility some short time afterwards.

The inclusion of Newfoundland in particular and the absence of America seems to slim the date.

I can rake pictures of the back and the belt as a whole in better light but generally just looking for opinions and any info

Thanks!
Old 29-01-19, 08:45 AM

Why is this a HATE belt, were we no all allies?
Old 29-01-19, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

A nasty ebay dealers' term to spice up a sale.

The badges are certainly WW1 period but you cannot date it to any year with any certainty. It could be post war.
Old 31-01-19, 03:40 PM

Default NEWFOUNDLAND BUTTON

Hi

Didn't see the Newfoundland button in the pictures. If you post a pic I might be able to help you to date.

Regards

Don
Old 31-01-19, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post
Hello,

This hate belt turned up in Edmonton and I’m unsure of it’s age or where it’s been as well as a few of the emblems on it.

Blue=fallen off green=reapplied...I know.

In order (sort of) Hindoostan Leicester, artillery, ?, black watch, Royal Dublin fusiliers, RFA (?), (?),Canadian shoulder, machine gun corps, (unknown) infantry, Canadian shoulder, (?Tudor rose?), bomb(artillery?), Canadian engineers,Canadian tunic button, RCR (? Button), Cornwall, Canadian shoulder, 58th overseas Canadian collar, C1 Canadian?, Yorkshire regt, 52 new Ontario, ?tudor rose?), Newfoundland button, #2(unknown), Canadian c5?, engineers collar, Canada collar, 36 ulster vol, c.a.s.c?, ?carabiners?, French button, 74th Canadian overseas battalion, 1st Ontario collar, hampshire regt, 1st mounted rifles Manitoba collar pin, T6 Essex.

As far as I can tell the person who collected this may have lived in Edmonton but am totally unaware of where or when this belt was collected.

If I Really had to guess I’d say this was around the 1st battle of Ypres, possibility some short time afterwards.

The inclusion of Newfoundland in particular and the absence of America seems to slim the date.

I can rake pictures of the back and the belt as a whole in better light but generally just looking for opinions and any info

Thanks!
There are a few badges you can date as to when they were worn but no guarantees as to when they were put on the belt.
The Leicesters was worn during wwi up to 1947
RA badge had a rotating wheel so worn pre wwi and phased out during wwi for other ranks (i think)
Black watch worn WWI up until mid 1930`s. Changed prior to WWII
Dublin Fusiliers worn prior to 1922 when the regiment was disbanded
MMG badge was WWI hostilities only
Red Hand of Ulster badge (36th Ulster Div) worn from 1914 until regimental patterns available so only issued for a very short period. If original this is a very desireable item.
6th DG guards worn 1902 - 1920 when merged with 3DG
Hampshire badge was worn WWI up until 1947
The badges could have been put on the belt at any time over many years but most of the badges seem to be WWI, some only worn during WWI.
Old 31-01-19, 05:26 PM
MarkGD

Gmac,
The canadian badges all appear to be WW1, most of the Canadian 'Canada' Shoulder titles have makers marks on the back along with a date, but not all.
The C5, Inf, RCR are all WW1 vintage.
Regards Mark
Old 31-01-19, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
RA badge had a rotating wheel so worn pre wwi and phased out during wwi for other ranks (i think)
Incorrect, the other ranks applied wheel badge has always been a private purchase badge. Worn circa 1903-1950's.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 17-03-19, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDREGT View Post
Hi

Didn't see the Newfoundland button in the pictures. If you post a pic I might be able to help you to date.

Regards

Don
Here’s what you requested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E66C7425-96C7-4CB5-AFD6-2730FF78D984.jpg (94.3 KB, 39 views)