British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-15, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed Bruce. Lets go back to the badge in question, but I am not sure there is much more to add to the discussion at this time. If new information about the badge becomes available an update would be welcome.
Old 26-02-15, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
Anyone can introduce changes to dress; the introduction of the white maple leaf jump wing was started by a Corporal. My regiment has just changed shoulder titles, brass and cloth for DEU. But it must go thru the proper process, thru the chain of command, approval from DHH, and approval of the Colonel Commandant of the corps (a administrative organization, not a tactical one). For us that was the Colonel Commandant of the RCAC.
I'll add that our infantry regiment has a Clothing and Dress Committee (I've been privy to some of the discussions) as well as a Regimental Senate (made up of all former commanding officers/honorary colonels) who have input into what the regimental dress should be. So in addition to the chain of command above, there is an internal process within the regiment to ensure key stakeholders have a say - for example, the regimental museum often takes part in discussions to ensure that "tradition" is not trampled when new dress items are contemplated. The regimental association is another stakeholder, and they run the regimental kit shop...it would be very difficult to imagine a rogue colonel coming in and simply making wild changes.
Old 11-04-15, 04:47 PM

This was taken the other day.
Old 11-04-15, 05:38 PM

Looks a bit tight across the middle.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 11-04-15, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post

This was taken the other day.
Calcutta Highlanders?

Dave.
Old 11-04-15, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
It might be interesting to throw this in:

In the British army a colonel commanding a battalion or regiment is allowed to make two dress code changes during his tenure. Is that the same in Canada, because if it is, it might answer one or two questions.
And where pray is this recorded? other than perhaps in 'tradition' (which is precarious standpoint at the best of times)

Most Regiments & Corps have a Regimental/Corps Dress Committee who publish Regimental Dress Regulations, which in turn should be approved by the Army Dress Committee.

A Commanding Officer would still need to follow this route.

The Adjutant and RSM and in the Corps the 'Corps RSM' are members of the Dress Committee and enforces these Dress Regulations

There are many 'local variations' to Dress Regulations in relation to things such as Regimental Police Brassards and Pace Sticks etc.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 11-04-15, 05:58 PM

Example to my last post - Variation to Royal Artillery Dress Regulation by Regiments or Batteries of the RA;

http://www.army.mod.uk/Search.aspx?s...%20regulations

I illustrate the RA because unlike the infantry, it has several 'sub-units' with distinctive dress variations.

ANNEX D TO
RA STANDING ORDERS
PART 5

AUTHORISED DRESS VARIATIONS

1. If regiments or batteries wish to introduce a variation to any authorised form of dress, they are to submit a formal request, through the chain of command, for consideration by the RADC. Only those variations approved by the RADC may then be worn and only under the conditions stipulated in the authorisation.

2. The following variations to RA Dress are authorised:

a. 1 RHA. Sword Guards wear George boots with spurs and overalls.

b. 3 RHA.

(1) Red felt backing to the Royal Cypher and collar dogs.

(a) Cypher worn by WO and below when wearing the beret. All Officers/WO1 – embroidered cypher with red embroidered backing.

(b) Collar dogs (red felt) – Worn by WO and below; No2 dress.

(2) Olive rank slide for all ranks, embossed RHA at the bottom. Worn by all ranks – No5 dress.

(3) RHA stable belt worn with buckle to front. (Subject to submission of case and agreement by RA DC).

c. 7 Para RHA. To wear 58 pattern belt with smock para.

d. 12 Regt RA No5 & No 8 Dress, Officers, RSM and BSMs wear an Olive drab rank slide.

e. 16 Regt RA. Officers wear the olive drab rank slide and during SSO the RSM and all BSM’s to wear the WO wristlet when in SSO.

f. 19 Regt RA. Robertson Hunting Tartan.

(1) No 5 Dress – Tartan rank slides.

(2) No 8 Dress – Tartan rank slides.

(3) No 13 and 14 Dress –Tartan epaulettes (Officers and SNCOs).

(4) Offrs and WOs in 13 (Martinique 1809) HQ Bty RA to carry Irish Blackthorn canes (similar in length and diameter to the standard RA WO canes), in all forms of dress aside No1 Dress.

g. 29 Cdo Regt RA. No14 Dress – Stone Wash Shirt. Beret with chemically bronzed cap-badge in all but No 1 and 2 Dress when a staybright cap-badge is worn.

h. 101 Regt RA (V). No 1 Dress – 204 Bty RA (V) Glengarry. No 5, 7, 8 and 9 Dress 204 Bty RA (V) Tam O’Shanter.

i. 103 Regt RA (V). A Troop, 208 Bty RA (V) are scaled and entitled to wear an Irish Bonnet (Caubeen) and a blue and red hackle.

j. 104 Regt RA (V). No1 Dress – Officers of C (Glamorgan Yeomanry) Tp 211 Bty on Royal Salutes wear chain mail on shoulders.

3. The ADC have approved that officers and soldiers of 7 Para RHA, 29 Cdo Regt RA and 4/73 Bty RA wear the respective issued beret in all forms of dress.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 11-04-15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ohhh Dave, you are treading on thin ice.... CALGARY HIGHLANDERS. (The Canadian army has one of the most arcane system of abbreviations. You need a guide to understand what many of them mean.)
Old 11-04-15, 06:16 PM

I certainly wouldn't categorize it as "Hi-Vis" rank.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 11-04-15, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Ohhh Dave, you are treading on thin ice.... CALGARY HIGHLANDERS. (The Canadian army has one of the most arcane system of abbreviations. You need a guide to understand what many of them mean.)
Bill,

Many thanks. It was an impish comment which I hope has offended no one....

Dave.
Old 11-04-15, 11:30 PM

....and this is Canada in April, we still have ice!
Old 12-04-15, 01:46 AM

No, not hi-vis, but this is still being worn, while the rest of the regt has gone hi-vis. As for being tight across the middle he would probably be highly offended, not only a Snr NCO in the Infantry, but one of Calgary's finest. He was nice enough to hold the shirt tight so I could get a clean shot.
Old 12-04-15, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Bruce, Do you know who made these?
Old 30-04-15, 12:44 AM

Hi

Interesting stuff.

In reference to the Hi-vis slip-on example shown, if it's DND issue, I'll bet there is a CANADA "identifier" embroidered right into the cloth under the add-on specific identifier. I've been dealing with these for issue in a small way but have seen all ranks and a ton of the various identifiers in bins at Base Supply. There appears to be two efforts; each rank and each identifier. Each rank has the CANADA embroidered as a "base model" and then the identifier added. Unit returns for issue have to have the identifier required for each soldier. Though as a business model for CP Gear, that would work too.

Would it be possible that the contract built all ranks including band ranks and somewhere someone added the correct CAMERON?

No idea on the Velcro. Nothing but CANADA that I've seen for those few who have the shirt here at my lower part of the pole.

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell; 30-04-15 at 12:52 AM.