British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-11-08, 07:41 PM

Default 72nd Btn CEF

Okay you've finally succeeded in recruiting a British Badge collector to collecting CEF badges as well. After seeing all those pictures of Canadian CEF badges I'm hooked. I got hold of a Babins CEF book and today I bought my first Canadian CEF badge.

It is a 72nd Btn CEF badge 46mm in height. It cost me £8. Although I am an experienced British Badge collector I have no idea what to look out for in a good Canadian badge. I have just applied some of my instincts with British badges to this one. The definition of the rear of the badge is very crisp and well struck but no makers name. So any ideas of what I should look out for when collecting CEF badges?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada72Front.jpg (57.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Canada72Back.jpg (60.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-11-08, 08:18 PM

Hello James,CEF badges is not my specialty but, your badge looks OK to me. As added info on this unit, it was created 23/4/16 and was part of the 12th Brigade of the 4th Canadian Division.It shouldn't be mistaken for the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of the Canadian Militia (1912). Some of the canadian colleagues (P.Herring and Paulbear) with more knowledge than me will give you some tips on how to spot originals CEF badges.
Jo

Here's the Militia 72nd's badge
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...omer/072bn.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 09-11-08, 08:56 PM

Thanks Voltigeur. I didn't realise this was not the same unit as the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders. I can see I will have to get a book on the Order of Precedence of Canadian units.

James
Old 09-11-08, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Small correction, the 72nd Bn was the Seaforths of Canada. The Seaforth's took the 72 Battalion for mobilization purposes in the CEF, and it was the same as their militia precedence. The CEF battalion wore the 1912 pattern cap badge.
James' badge is a collar. Here is the cap badge...
Old 09-11-08, 09:48 PM

James, the only source on the Order of Precedence of the Canadian Army, that I know of, is the Concise Lineage of the Canadian Army by Charles H Stewart and that book has been out of print for a very long time. Another suggestion is to use the list from our distinguished colleague The Regimental Rogue, on the perpetuation of the CEF units by Canadian Army units. That's a start.Also you could limit yourself to units that were in the four divisions.
Cheers
Jo

http://regimentalrogue.com/cef_perpe...rpetuation.htm

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 09-11-08, 09:51 PM

Thanks Bill for putting me right.
Jo

Old 10-11-08, 01:01 AM

Hello,

Congrats on collecting CEF badges!

To clear the air a bit your badge could be a collar or a cap! They were worn as both depending on supply and demand availability etc The maker of this is probably OB Allan they made alot of them!

CEF badges have gone up in price over the last few years so be warned! There a few restrikes or fakes out there! Arty badges and a few others.

I would reccommend getting some good reference books Babins only gives picture of the badge and variations. Try and pick up a Charlton guide 2nd edition on WW1 CDN Infantry Badges it provides more info but take it with a grain of salt its a guide only!

CEF badge collecting provides many twists and turns
If you would like further clarification contact Paulbear he will further substaniate what I have told you here!

He is also a great resource and very knowledgable when it comes to the CEF. I have made a great friend also ! He is on the forum so don't be afraid to contact him !
Old 10-11-08, 01:05 AM

Voltigeur thanks for the link to The Regimental rogue. That will be really useful.
Bill I am still a bit confused. In Babin both the whitemetal badge like yours and the bronzed badge like mine are shown for the 72nd. Does this definitely mean my badge is collar or did they use this as a badge at any stage. The reason I ask is that Babin doesn't show collar badges for any other regiment only cap badges. Or do Canadian collar badges usually have the same design as the cap badge.
Old 10-11-08, 01:27 AM
Banned

James due to the size of the Glenn badge and the fact the field cap was worn in the trenches the collars where worn often as hat badges but in truth is a collar. Also who would wear the white metal badge in the field much photo evidence exists to this fact.

PAUL
Old 10-11-08, 02:34 AM

mad4thcef and paulbear
Thanks for the info I will certainly try and get a copy of The Charlton Guide.
Of course most of the collectors of CEF badges are based in Canada so I don't know whether I will have a lot of luck this side of the pond in collecting all the CEF badges.
Initially I will try and collect representative badges of each iconic Canadian design e.g. with a moose, red indian, beaver etc. and units that served at Vimy Ridge.

James
Old 10-11-08, 03:41 AM
Banned

James my best advice for you is try to put together a collection of the field units which served in France and leave it at that. There where 260 numbered battalions and three named of the infantry alone and the prices and rarity of many will make the quest almost impossible these days.

goodluck and Britian is a good hunting ground for CEF

REGARDS paul
Old 10-11-08, 04:39 AM

To end this thread on a nostalgic note. I found in a 1914 document that I just read the price of a cap badge (probably the General List's maple leaf) listed at .10 cents, the collar badges at .10 cents a pair and shoulder titles at .12 cents a pair.These prices are dated 2/10/14.
Ahhhhhhhhhh the good old days.
Jo

Old 10-11-08, 04:57 AM
Banned

where those really the good old days ? And I sort of like the value of my hoarde in these good olde days

PAUL
Old 10-11-08, 10:12 AM

Voltigeur,
Don't be too nostalgic for those days. If you were`around to buy those badges you would also be eligible to go to France and Belgium.

James
Old 10-11-08, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

James in many ways you are in a fortunate situation to collect CEF badges. A lot of CEF badges can be found in the UK. Soldiers were always trading or giving badges away, and the structure of the CEF, where approximately 200 battalions were broken up for the reinforcement stream, led to lots of badges being available in the "old country". However, prices are not inexpensive.

Tags
72nd bn, cef, seaforth