British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-10, 05:25 PM

Default Control Commision Germany

Can any one tell me what uniforms were worn by men and women of the CCG ? I have a converted WRNS tunic that has CCG patches, buttons and German made shoulder titles. Unfortunatly i can find no pictures of CCG patches being worn. I belive the uniforms were blue but i have no idea of the cut or what head gear was used. I would be grateful for any info.
Thanks,
Fez
Old 23-06-10, 05:35 PM

hi fez,

i may be wrong but did not the first members of the ccg come from the military, and therefore would have worn a military uniform with the ccg cap badge and ccg cloth arm shield

philip
Old 23-06-10, 08:03 PM

Default CCG uniform.

Good evening Fez,

I have a 23rd Hussars sergeants badged Battle Dress blouse with CCG cloth signs. All the other other insignia on the blouse is 23H. I'm afraid that I'm unable to add anything more about the uniforms of the CCG. This BD came to me from the 23H sergeant who remained in Germany after the cessation of hostilities in May 1945.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 23-06-10, 08:19 PM

There is an interesting illustration in "British Battledress 1937-61" by Brain Jewell and Mike Chappell showing a police inspector CCG 1946.

He is wearing khaki battledress blouse and trousers. The text says".......Both service personnel and civilians staffed these Commisions ( CCG and CCA ) wearing khaki or dark blue battledress with appropriate insignia.

The police inspector, was one of those sent out to Germany at this time to help stamp out crime and as well as the khaki battledress wears a dark ( Blue) peaked cap.

I have some other references to CCG uniforms elsewhere which I will try and find

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-06-10, 08:22 PM

Default Charlie Chaplins Grenadiers

My understanding was that the CCG and its Austrian counterparts were composed of military personnel, who retained their own uniforms with added CCG formation signs; the ex-UK seconded police who wore blue battle-dress with flat police style caps which included braided peaks for ex-Inspectors and above; civil servants who also wore the blue uniform with insignia such as pin-back CCG collar dogs and the common CCG cap badges. I also believe that Diplomatic Corps also wore uniform initially.

Cloth shoulder titles were adopted by the civilian components. A goood selection of these were featured in Formation Sign Issue 235 July 2009.

Stephen.
Old 24-06-10, 11:36 AM

Default CCG

I have a book on a Canadian Signal Corps Squadron that was assigned CCG duties for 9 months after the war. The photo's of the unit show the members in Canadian Battle Dress with the CCG hat badge.
My fater-in-law was also "badged" as CCG. He was RCE, did not have enough points to come home right after the war, so spent time with the CCG awaiting his return date. Again , photo's of him have him in Canadian Battle Dress with the CCG Hat Badge

Larry
Old 24-06-10, 01:29 PM

This is all verey interesting, so would the converted wrens tunic i have be for civilian use ??
Fez
Old 24-06-10, 07:39 PM

Hello,
My Granddad was in the CCG. He had been a captain in the Army prior to this. I have a good collection of his photographs, I will dig them out and see what he is wearing and when. I am lucky in that he usually wrote on the back of his photo's, so they are easy to date and you know who's in them and where they are.
I do know that I have some photo's of him in a Police styled uniform that he wore with the CCG. Infact this jacket is at my father's house. In the photo's he is wearing a side cap and badge. I once showed my father a standard CCG brass cap badge. My Dad did not think his father wore this badge, but something different, but still a CCG badge. Possibly some sort of Officer's version.
Regards
Old 24-06-10, 08:03 PM

That would be great, i would love to see a pic of the tunic ??
Old 24-06-10, 08:24 PM

I thought i would add some pics of my jacket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (46.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (64.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 25-06-10, 02:49 AM

The CCG also had police officers so this could account for the different badge mentioned. If you go to my album "CONTROL COMMISSION GERMANY/BRITISH FRONTIER SERVICE" you will see a CCG police badge(middle left). If I remember there was a thread on the CCG some time ago.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 25-06-10, 08:35 AM

Hello Jerry,
Thanks for the link to your album. The Police CCG badge does look very similar in shape to the badge in my Granddad's photo's. Pre war until about 1944 he was a Policeman in the UK. He became a Police Sgt in 1940. I have seen his Police service record, he left the Police in March 1944, to become an AMGOT/Civil Affairs Officer. He had been Commissioned as Captain in the General List.
Most of the photo's I have of him in the CCG show him wearing BD with the CCG patch, it was only his leave photo's that show him in his Blue uniform, which does not have any CCG patches on the sleeves. The tunic just has white metal rank badges, medal ribbon bar and white metal buttons [from memory a Crown within a wreath]. The tunic also has a fixed waist belt, with white metal/chrome two prong buckle.
I should send off for his service records sometime. For a while in late 1944 he was attached to the US 1st Army. I also understand he was at one of the Concentration camps at the time of it's liberation. He was also at Nuremberg during some of the trials. Does anyone know of any good websites which contain any information about AMGOT or Civil Affair Officers of the 21st Army Group? From his BD patches I know he was with the 21st Army, 30 Corps and also 5th British Infantry Div.
I will take some photo's of his tunic at the weekend and post them here.
Regards
Old 20-09-18, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
I thought i would add some pics of my jacket
HI , Do you still own this please