British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-04-18, 09:49 AM

Default 8th Gurkha Rifles - Silver 1914

I was very pleased to pick this up from ebay recently ( still some bargains to be had!) - It's a very rare hallmarked silver collar badge made by Bent and Parker to the 8th Gurkha Rifles dated 1914, which has been converted to a sweetheart badge (?) . It's not recorded in the Gurkha museum's booklet on the insignia of the Regiment, but was worn on the officers mess kit. I've only ever seen one other example ( also by Bent and Parker and 1914 ) and I managed to buy that one. There is an outside chance that the pin fastening is original and was worn on the cap - ( I have a number of Gurkha badges with a pin fastening which were worn on the pagri or other headgear ) - I don't think Bent and Parker ever made sweetheart brooches? Any comments gratefully received. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6024.jpg (35.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6026.jpg (32.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 23-04-18, 06:54 PM

I'd actually be quite surprised if that was proven to be a sweetheart brooch, I like it very much.
Old 25-04-18, 06:45 AM

The other thing I've noticed is that when a sweetheart brooch is "converted" from a piece of original regimental insignia the converter usually leaves one of the original lugs as the pin securer - ( presumable a lot easier for the guy who is doing the conversion ) - in this case both lugs were "removed" ( difficult to see if they were ever there in the first place ) - so I'm begining to lean towards the brooch fastening was "made" by Bent and Parker.
Old 25-04-18, 06:53 PM

I think it is really superb, I would be absolutely delighted with it, a very thick pin, over kill for a ladies dress.